Power Mac G4 Hard Drive replacement

Reaction score
Power Mac G4

1 GB DUAL PROCESSOR
ser #XB2252G1M1X/1536MB/2X80GB/GEF4 video card

Hard drive chirps, and system runs very slow, hangs often and needs frequent reboots.

Old drive is:
IBM Deskstar, Model IC35L080AVVA07-0 ATA/IDE
7200 RPM, 3.5 inch AT 80 Gig

I ordered a new hard drive from New Egg, Hitachi Deskstar.
part # 0A35397
model HDP7250GLAT80
Capacity 500GB

Should I have bought something different?
Should I have bought a matched pair?

I don't know which drive to replace, I assume it is the lower drive, from Apple Support document Power Mac G4: Installing Internal Storage Devices
(Article: HT1815) describing the "0" and "1" drives.
I assume the upper drive is the OS 9 drive. Do I still need that configured as OS9? I don't think I need OS9 capability anymore.
I haven't opened the foil package yet.

Will my computer recognize the 500GB disk? Or do I need additional card?
Thanks, John

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
From the looks of your specs, you should have a Mirror Drive Door (MDD) which does not have the 128GB Limit, so that 500GB drive should work. Not sure on the MDD on which drive is which, but on older G4 Powermacs the lower drive was usually the first drive and the upper the 2nd.

There is a Dual 1Ghz Quicksilver model also. The MDD has Optical Drive Doors that look very shiny like a mirror.

OP
B
Reaction score
Thank you sir. It is not a mirrored drive door.
I replaced the lower drive with the new Hitachi and upon start up I still have chirping. So I put the Hitachi in the upper drive. Still chirping. Now I put it back in the lower drive and put the original that was in the bottom up in the top. If it still chirps, I'll get another new hard drive for the top. This will take a few more days, but I'm getting really good at this R&R.

Ok chirping gone. Now I have grey screen with happy file and ? mark alternating.

I backed up the hard drive onto a new external hard drive a few days ago. I used the install CD and disk utility to make a disk Image.

I thought I would be able to power up and hit the eject button to get the install CD in the tray.

What is the next step? Power off and hook up the External Hard drive first?

This was the only 133 Drive that New Egg offered that was actually an upgrade, but considered OEM,

Is there any thing else that could be chirping on the computer?

It is conceiveable that both hard drives began to chirp at the same general time frame

Before I spend hours reloading software, I want to get the hardware right.
Thank you for your help.
John

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Ok, you have a Quicksilver 2002. Those also will go over the 128GB Limit so you should be fine.

By 133 drive you mean ATA133? The controller in the Quicksilver is probably ATA66 or ATA100 but it will work fine.

You have an OSX install CD I take it? I wonder if the image you made in Disk Utility is bootable?

Is this external USB or Firewire? My understanding is Power PC Macs will not boot off USB but only Firewire.

On the chirping issue, not sure which revision those Deskstar drives are, but there was a MAJOR failure issue with the IBM 75GXP series and Hitachi bought IBM's drive division. I had a 40GB Deskstar in my Digital Audio chirp then die. I was lucky and able to back it up before it totally died. I would not be shocked at all if both of them are toast!

If the external drive is USB, boot with the OSX media. I would boot with OSX CD and run Disk Utility and partition/Erase the new drive and be sure it's all showing up then use Disk Utility to image to the new drive from your back up.

Keep us posted.

OP
B
Reaction score
Install CD in.

Used FO command option to get root for CD drive to get install CD in.

Can't figure out how to format new drive. Looks like the "1' upper HD is completely dead. Then new Hitachi drive shows up as 450GB, but I cannot figure out how to format it or get started.

I think the dead Hardrive in the upper bay is hanging me up. I'm going to replace it with a matching Hitachi and start over in a few days.

My external HD is firewire Iomega eDrive. It shows up in Disk Utility also.

Thanks for your help.

John

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, I take it you are booted from the OSX CD. In Disk Utility, point in the left hand column to the new drive. In the right window there should be a few Tabs. What I would do is choose the Partition Tab. When there select 1 partition. It will say current. Click there and change it to 1 partition.

Which version of OSX is this? The next step is different depending on the version of OSX.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
For problems with IBM Deskstar a search of Google for Deathstar reveals a lot of problems with the HDD, which is why IBM got out and handed the business to Hitachi. A new HDD should fix your problems:-

YouTube - The IBM "Death Star"

Reaction score
No need to wait. Just unplug the Dead drive and format the new one. You can add the second drive later.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No need to wait. Just unplug the Dead drive and format the new one. You can add the second drive later.

Sure agree 100% with that. Never leave a failing hard drive connected. Unplug that DEATHStar! :D

Just a heads up for other Quicksilver owners. It's a known fact that the Quicksilver 2002 has the newer IDE controller without the 128GB Limit. There is a rumor that even the 733 Quicksilver has that newer controller. I was recently given a 733 Quicksilver in Pristine shape. So last night I tried a 160GB drive and Vola, it's all there. So I guess that rumor is true. The same drive on a G4 DA shows 128GB.

OP
B
Reaction score
Dear friends.
Thanks for all your support and help.
My lower drive, the master was fine, it is now the slave. The new Hitachi 500G Deathstar is the new Master.
What I was lacking was the knowledge about the jumper pins. Our I/T expert at work showed me that.
So I have a Jaguar formatted new hard drive and no more chirping issues.
I guess my machine is a Quicksilver, or a Gigabit Ethernet Dual Processor.
Now I have to figure out how to get the iPhoto and iTunes libraries from the still functional and unaltered old master to the new master.
The disk image I put on the external hard drive before starting this project didn't seem to help. Or maybe my execution was wrong in the Restore process.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.