First-gen Macbook not recognizing Ext. HD on USB

Reaction score
I have a MacBook1,1 and a LaCie Hard Drive. I bought both in August of 2006.

Both have worked very smoothly together for the past 3 years, but suddenly my computer is not fully accepting the hard drive. The hard drive icon doesn't show up on my desktop or finder. The hard drive was only to hold music, and I can't access the files through iTunes either. However, when plugged it into the USB, my system profiler detects and lists that it's plugged into the USB High-Speed Bus.

Moreover, the USB is still detecting my iPod and my mouse (both Apple products). but now whenever I plug it in it says that I have plugged my iPod into a USB 1.1 port, and it would be better if I plugged it into a USB 2.0 for better performance. I've never had happen before the hard drive incident... I assume that I've always had USB 2.0 ports. Is it possible that suddenly my USB 2.0 turned into a 1.1? Also, the USB isn't detecting my camera.

Help! :| I really miss my music. I'm not very computer literate but I'll try to answer questions to the best of my ability.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.