Change a computer's name

E

Eleven

I have a Mac at work and would like to change the main name it comes under on the network.

We tried to change the user name but no luck.

Any way to do it without reformating?

OP
K

Kokopelli

The computer name can be changed under the System Preferences => Sharing. User name and computer name are unrelated, as you discovered.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
system preferences>sharing>computer name.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
Kokopelli said:
The computer name can be changed under the System Preferences => Sharing. User name and computer name are unrelated, as you discovered.
you just beat me.
gun2.gif

OP
E

Eleven

Yeah well I tried and when I send a print through the fiery the workstation still recognizes the old name...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
might need a restart

OP
J

Jefe3223

yeah, like when I change my HD icon, I need to log out first (i don't know why...eh). If restarting doesn't work....I might have a thought, but I need to test it and only if restart doesn't work (i got somethin' cookin' over here). haha

OP
E

Eleven

Yeah well I did the change after my graphic designer left.

And he told me it was IMPOSSIBLE.

I'll restart the computer in the am and see his face after he asks me what happened and I tell him "oh I just changed it" :lol:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.