How did this happen?

M

micksharp

Dear All

Just installed an Airport Extreme card into my iBook. I have no Airport Base Station, no card loaded into my other computer (an iMac), and have a cable modem installed.

After loading the card, the iBook had no problems recognising it.

I mistakenly started up Safari and, lo and behold, I was connected wirelessly to the internet!

Anybody got any idea how this has happened. I'm obviously not complaining, just very curious!

Thanks

Mick

OP
M

meltbanana314

Do any of your neighbours have wireless internet?

If they do, your iBook just found their connection via the AirPort card. =)

OP
J

Jefe3223

I've connected to my neighbors by accident too. 'Tis funny how far those things can travel.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Hence why it's important to always secure your wireless network if you ever set one up ;)

OP
J

Jefe3223

schweb said:
Hence why it's important to always secure your wireless network if you ever set one up ;)
if they do that, how am i suposed to get on the internet from my bed room. haha

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Jefe3223 said:
if they do that, how am i suposed to get on the internet from my bed room. haha

Now that was funny!

I was over setting up Wireless for a friends parents, Dang, there were maybe 6 other systems in the neighborhood all with strong signals. One was getting in the way of theirs till I changed the channel.

OP
J

Jefe3223

haha, that's nice to have a technologically advanced neighborhood. I wish more people would be smart, but not know about protecting their networks...what can I say, I don't want to have to pay for another dsl converter box thingy when I'm at home. I never need to worry, whilest i'm at school.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.