Can I use Time Capsule as a ext hard drive only?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4GHz Aluminum Macbook 2Gb RAM 250GB HD
I have a Time Capsule and I want to use only as external hard drive. Is this possible? Anything special I need to do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.33 4GB: MacPro 8 Core 2.8, 16GB: MacMini 2.26 4GB: MacMin 2.53 4GB: iPhone3GS 32GB
There should be nothing wrong with this, you simply don't configure TimeMachine to backup to the device.

The TimeCapsule device is simply an AEBS with a built in hard drive that allows you to not to have to buy an external drive and share it. Note, TimeCapsule is the only officially supported external backup solution from Apple, though you can get around this with a few tweaks.

If all you want is an external drive to connect to, you could probably save some money buying an AEBS and connecting an external drive via the USB port (or via a USB hub). I have this setup with 5+ drive connected. All drives are available to any machine on my network with no issues. I use the Western Digital My Book Studio Edition 2TB drives and they work quite well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.