MySQL Server

B

bluethundr

Hi.

I am trying to install MySQL server on my macbook, so I can study it and get better at it. I downloaded the dmg image from the mysql site for intel macs.

This is the file I downloaded:

Code:
mysql-5.1.37-osx10.5-x86.dmg

I expanded the dmg and ran the installer and everything seemed fine. I copied the mysql bin directory to my path. But when I run mysqladmin this is what I get:

Code:
Mazdayasna:~ bluethundr$ sudo mysqladmin -u root password p4551int3nd2us3
mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
error: 'Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (2)'
Check that mysqld is running and that the socket: '/tmp/mysql.sock' exists!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You haven't started mysql yet. Give this a quick read to get you started.

OP
T

todd51

You could also just use MAMP (Mac Apache MySQL PHP) which sets up everything for you. It even comes with a widget to easily earn on/off the servers. I highly recommend it.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
MAMP, like XAMPP, should only be used for testing and development purposes though. As stated on their website, "MAMP was created primarily as a PHP development environment for Macintosh computer and should therefore not be used as Live Webserver for the Internet. In this case, we recommend that you use Mac OS X server with the provided Apache or a Linux server."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.33 4GB: MacPro 8 Core 2.8, 16GB: MacMini 2.26 4GB: MacMin 2.53 4GB: iPhone3GS 32GB
In the MySQL vein, once you get the server up and running, you may be interested in

MySQL :: MySQL GUI Tools

These tools provide graphical front ends for both administrative and client tasks. You can always use the mysql client utility in the terminal, but when first starting out sometimes it helps to have a nice front-end environment to ease the learning curve a bit.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.