screen wont darken imac 10.5.8

Reaction score
I found were this was posted before but no answer, so here goes...
these are the specs:
Model Name: iMac (10.5.8)
Model Identifier: iMac9,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.93 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
NVIDIA GeForce GT 120:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce GT 120
Type: Display
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 256 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x0655
Revision ID: 0x00a1
ROM Revision: 3370
Displays:
iMac:
Resolution: 1920 x 1200
Depth: 32-Bit Color
Core Image: Hardware Accelerated
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Quartz Extreme: Supported
Built-In: Yes
the problem is this, the machine is a month old and when using the slider bar or keyboard keys to darken the screen, it only goes so dark, but no where near black, it certainly doesn't have the full dark to light ability...does anyone else have this problem or know what and why, or do I just need to put in a call for service?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
the problem is this, the machine is a month old and when using the slider bar or keyboard keys to darken the screen, it only goes so dark, but no where near black, it certainly doesn't have the full dark to light ability...does anyone else have this problem or know what and why, or do I just need to put in a call for service?

I guess I'm not fully understanding the problem here...

If you can see things on your display properly & your screen gets as bright as you need it...why are you concerned that the screen won't go to complete "blackness" or darkness...basically to the point that you can't see anything on the screen?

Just wondering...thanks,

- Nick

OP
P
Reaction score
re

why? well first, I don't know if this is common to all 24 inch imacs or a fault with mine. I have never had an imac, ibook, or pc that you could not darken the screen on. Second, if this is not inherent to this model, then there is a problem with the board and needs to be addressed. It is not a matter of wanting to slide the light adjust bar all the way down to black, it is a matter of making sure the graphics card is not faulty so that I know that I am seeing all of the limited 255 shades of grey for processing digital photographs in black and white.

So I ask again. Is there anyone else out there that has the same problem, or is this just the way the new 24 inch imac displays work?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.