installing mac OSX

Reaction score
Hi guys wondering if you can help me, I just bought a MacBook pro 17 (model number a1261) from my friend who has just put xp on it ( I don't know if he's put this on completely some drivers are missing) I managed to get hold of an original mac os 10.5.7 disk from another friend who has a MacBook pro 13, I put the disk in held c as instructed, the cd loaded and i selected language, then once I'd done this it proceeded to load where it then came with an error message "mac osx cannot be installed on this machine" can any one help??? Basically I would like to get rid of xp and put mac on it! If anyone can help I would greatly apprreciate it, thanks guys!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hi guys wondering if you can help me, I just bought a MacBook pro 17 (model number a1261) from my friend who has just put xp on it ( I don't know if he's put this on completely some drivers are missing) I managed to get hold of an original mac os 10.5.7 disk from another friend who has a MacBook pro 13, I put the disk in held c as instructed, the cd loaded and i selected language, then once I'd done this it proceeded to load where it then came with an error message "mac osx cannot be installed on this machine" can any one help??? Basically I would like to get rid of xp and put mac on it! If anyone can help I would greatly apprreciate it, thanks guys!

Those "gray" colored disks are model specific...and in most cases cannot be used between different model Apple computers.

If you need to install OS X...and if you don't have the disks...then you need to purchase a retail copy of OS X.

- Nick

OP
F
Reaction score
oh..right, thanks, anyone have any idea how much they cost, and which one do i need for mine, the snow leopard one?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Ask your friend for the original disks. That machine shipped with Leopard, so if he still has them, no reason to go out and purchase. If he doesn't give Apple a call to ask for a set of replacement disks. Much, much cheaper than paying retail for a copy of Leopard.

And yep, XP could very well be missing drivers as they are on the Leopard disk that came with the machine.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ask your friend for the original disks. That machine shipped with Leopard, so if he still has them, no reason to go out and purchase. If he doesn't give Apple a call to ask for a set of replacement disks. Much, much cheaper than paying retail for a copy of Leopard.

Of course the "friend" (if they have the disks) should have included them with the sale of the 17" MBP.

Hopefully they have the disks...because it would be a shame to have to buy Leopard just to get this computer to boot.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dont suppose anyones selling one??

What about checking with your friend that you bought the computer from..about seeing if they have the original disks that came with your computer...as suggested earlier in this thread?

- Nick

OP
F
Reaction score
well.. Nicholas i wouldnt be asking on this thread if i hadnt already asked my friend now would i? It kinda tramples all over common sense does that little theory of yours. He's obviously lost or misplaced the disks, im not stupid i have already asked him and he said he'll try having another look, but he just assumed i'd want it on windows like he did, obviously i dont now do i clever cloggs.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
well.. Nicholas i wouldnt be asking on this thread if i hadnt already asked my friend now would i? It kinda tramples all over common sense does that little theory of yours. He's obviously lost or misplaced the disks, im not stupid i have already asked him and he said he'll try having another look, but he just assumed i'd want it on windows like he did, obviously i dont now do i clever cloggs.

Nowhere previously in this thread did you mention that you already asked your "friend" for the disks...so how are we supposed to know you already tried that???

I would suggest that if you want help...you be a little more friendly!!!

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.