sleep issues

Reaction score
I have OS 10.5.7. If it goes to sleep for extended periods of time, when it wakes up, the dock doesn't show up and about half of the icons on the desktop don't show up. I have to adjust the display setting in order for everything to come back to how it's supposed to be. Any advice? Thanks.

Blake

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.33 4GB: MacPro 8 Core 2.8, 16GB: MacMini 2.26 4GB: MacMin 2.53 4GB: iPhone3GS 32GB
Hi, welcome to the forums.

Can you post your machine specs? It sounds like your machine is not recognizing your monitor on startup. Are you connected to an external display? If so, what sort of connection are you using DVI, MiniDisplay Port.

OP
S
Reaction score
Hi. Thanks for the reply. I'm not exactly sure which specs you need. I am hooked up to an external display. I have the computer hooked up to my TV via HDMI cable. The reason I didn't think that was the problem is that it does the same think on the laptop itself.

Blake

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.33 4GB: MacPro 8 Core 2.8, 16GB: MacMini 2.26 4GB: MacMin 2.53 4GB: iPhone3GS 32GB
One thing to try, when the issue happens go to

SystemPreferences->Displays

You will see the current resolution in the list on the left. It definitely sounds like the display is not being recognized when the computer starts. I see this when I am connected to my KVM switch. When you get into this state you can simply click the 'Detect Displays' button on the right and things should go back to normal.

Strange that it's happening on the laptop as well. Can you verify that the laptop is not connected to your display when it happens? Also, can you consistently reproduce the problem by forcing the laptop to sleep and then waking it up again.

Here's something I would try:

1) Disconnect the laptop from your display completely
2) Make any adjustments necessary to get the laptop display correct (when you disconnect, this may require you to go back and click the 'Detetct Displays' button.
3) Put the laptop to sleep.
4) Wake it up.

This will eliminate the external display option and tell you if it's something with the video card and not the external connection.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.