Flickering screen problem on macbook pro in game

Reaction score
This problem just started on my macbook pro where when I play Age of Empires 3, it starts flickering/ blinking like a strobe light. The screen keeps flashing off real fast and the video stops while it does it. I think it might be a graphics card problem. I put up a video of the problem in action:
YouTube - Strange video problem with macbook pro while playing a friendly game
I have an early '08 macbook pro, 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM. Can you help me figure out what it is/ confirm that it's a graphics card problem, and what I should do about it. Thanks

Reaction score
Did you check if you had any applications running in the background, and are you running the game on Mac, or Windows?

Reaction score
It may be a bad screen inverter, but since the problem only appears playing
AoE3 the problem might be software related as well...

OP
Y
Reaction score
I"m running it in mac. And when I play it, I always close everything else. Is there any way I can check if it's a hardware problem? I hope it's just an Aoe3 software problem..

Reaction score
I had something similar-sounding with a dell, and it xas the GPU not being seated properly.

OP
Y
Reaction score
You have 64 GB of ram?! Waaa! Yeah so anyway, are you saying I would have to crack open my computer and make sure the GPU is firmly inserted? Sounds scary

OP
Y
Reaction score
Good news, I fixed the problem. Seems it was a software problem. I turned up the graphics higher and it fixed it. Strange solution.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.