Fan replacement

Reaction score
Okay, I am going to ask a few questions, but first I'll tell you where I am at right now:

I have a Macbook whose fan is being extremely noisy. I downloaded smcfancontrol and realized the fanspeed and temperature is normal, but the fan is abnormally noisy. Really loud. So after a 2 weeks of this, the fan no longer turns on at start up, but does turn on about 20 minutes into using it.. and does not go past 2000rpm, causing the computer to heat up too much. I've had it shut down twice on me and I think I should replace the fan very soon. I'm going to do it myself.

So I need to buy the fan, of which I have 3 questions

1) What fan am I exactly supposed to buy? I have a 13" Black Macbook with a 2ghz Core Duo processor and an 80gb HD. I checked System profiler for the model # but all I am told is this.

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook
Model Identifier: MacBook1,1
Processor Name: Intel Core Duo
Processor Speed: 2 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 2 MB
Memory: 1 GB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MB11.0061.B03
SMC Version (system): 1.4f12
Serial Number (system): 4H6200DMVMN
Hardware UUID: 00000000-0000-1000-8000-0016CB8FF95A
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

I am THINKING it is a MA472LL/A and that the part # I need is 922-7372. Is this right? I don't want to buy and install the wrong fan! There are two different types of heat sinks, I'm told if I have the vertical connector this will work and if I have the horizontal connector I need a Santa Rosa or Penryn MacBook I need the 922-8273. How do I know for sure before opening this thing up?

2) Where should I buy the fan? I see the fan on ebay for really cheap, I found one that is used but tested as working and comes with a 90day warranty and its only $5. I also see it on powerbookmedic.com for $45 and that place seems "trusted" by others. Should I just go with the ebay one or is the powerbookmedic.com a smart move?

3) Should I replace the heatsink too or should I just buy the fan? I see some sellers on ebay selling the fan with the heatsink so I'm just wondering what would be best..

Also any additional comments are welcome. I really want this to go right.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.33 4GB: MacPro 8 Core 2.8, 16GB: MacMini 2.26 4GB: MacMin 2.53 4GB: iPhone3GS 32GB
Have you looked at iFixit? Generally they have pretty good guides for installation, doing things yourself etc. This is a good place to start anyway. You may even be able to find the replacement part you need from their site.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac model 7,1-24 inch; 2.4 GHz; 4 GB memory; ATI,RadeonHD2600; Time Capsule-1 TB;
Buy the best dam noiseless fan/heat sink/ there is.
Once you've got it open you might as well do it, cuz heat is the killer of electronics for efficiency and longevity.
... wmprice1240 gave you the first place to look for good answers.[ "Have you looked at iFixit?" ]
I also use the free (donations encouraged) widget- iStat pro (version 4.9) to keep track of all necessary functions.- iStat pro, a Dashboard Widget by iSlayer
Good Luck
Cheers

OP
P
Reaction score
I looked at iFixit. I printed out pictures of the guide to replacing it and already have a system for remembering which screw goes where. I'm asking if this is for sure the fan for my computer..

Reaction score
If it's the right size and power usage.

I think that's all you need to check :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.