I want to buy a 2.4Ghz MacBook and my mom asked me why

Reaction score
Well I don't where to put this so here we go.

I have been thinking about buying a 2.4Ghz MacBook and my mom asked me why. We have a alright laptop a hp dv6000 special edition and it works fine as much as a pc can but the screen seems poor and this REALY bothers me because I do allot of photo editing with PS on my laptop and the colors seem off. I know I could get calibrators to correct it but switching to a mac seems fun and the right thing to do.

So what are some other reasons to switch?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
They are cool and everybody is using them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook5,1
They are cool and everybody is using them.

haha yeah they are cool.

If you're trying to give an explanation as to why switch, I'd just have her toy around on it at the apple store or apple retailer. People that don't know mac's or are reluctant to use them will not fully understand one until they get a hands-on experience.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
If you're mother is paying for it, you have to convince her why a new laptop would be good for her or productive for you. If your mother thinks that your laptop is adequate, you have to show why it isn't. You need to show her why buying a new laptop is worth the cost. In other words, you have to justify the $1000+ cost. My guess is that if you explain to your mother that the colour isn't quite right and that you need a new expensive laptop, your mother will reject your plea for a new laptop instantly especially if this isn't for a job/school. I know that if my son/daughter phrased it this way, there wouldn't be a hope I would be buying a new laptop.

If you can't justify the cost, you don't need one. Approach this carefully though and don't deceive your mother.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Point out to your Mum that you dont need to spend time and money on dealing with Malware - theres a cost.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Point out to your Mum that you dont need to spend time and money on dealing with Malware - theres a cost.
Can you really justify a $1000+ new notebook simply because it has less malware? An easy way to escape malware is to avoid that which spreads it, which you should be doing anyway. On top of this, if you get it, there are plenty of free removal tools for Windows. Don't use this excuse when trying to justify the new Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Well I don't where to put this so here we go.

I have been thinking about buying a 2.4Ghz MacBook and my mom asked me why.
Well, you're the only one who can answer that.
If you need someone else to tell you why you want something, then chances are you shouldn't get it.
We have a alright laptop a hp dv6000 special edition and it works fine as much as a pc can but the screen seems poor and this REALY bothers me because I do allot of photo editing with PS on my laptop and the colors seem off. I know I could get calibrators to correct it but switching to a mac seems fun and the right thing to do.
You'll still need to calibrate your color on a Mac, so that isn't any special reason to get one.

OP
R
Reaction score
thanks and I am buying it with my own money, but I was just looking for reasons to tell her that the switch will be worth it. She always uses windows and if I boot up ubuntu she gets confused so thanks for the advice on taking her to a store for her to try one on her own. Also I have a journalism class and I was wondering if something the teacher said was true? he said that mac's are better for editing photos because pc's were meant for text or something along the line that the photo on the monitor will look like the print version of the same image.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Also I have a journalism class and I was wondering if something the teacher said was true? he said that mac's are better for editing photos because pc's were meant for text or something along the line that the photo on the monitor will look like the print version of the same image.
That is complete and udder bovine excrement (get it?... udder? ;) )

Any computer with a properly calibrated display will give you a close representation of what the printed page will look like.
There is nothing magical, otherworldly or special about a Mac that will make your photos or documents better than any other computer.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
he said that mac's are better for editing photos because pc's were meant for text or something along the line that the photo on the monitor will look like the print version of the same image.

LIES, LIES, and more LIES.

A Mac machine has better work flow. I like being able to drag and drop files from my desktop to my workspace. Saves me time from having to link files and having go looking for them from a dialogue box.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
LIES, LIES, and more LIES.

A Mac machine has better work flow. I like being able to drag and drop files from my desktop to my workspace. Saves me time from having to link files and having go looking for them from a dialogue box.

You can do that with Windows as well.
I use a Windows computer at work and do this all the time with Illustrator and Photoshop.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
You can do that with Windows as well.
I use a Windows computer at work and do this all the time with Illustrator and Photoshop.

Yeah I know you can but I hate being stuck in a window and not being able to see my desktop. User Multi tasking is nice, especially with expose.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" uMBP: iPhone 4
Get a part-time job!

You wont need to convince your mom then!

Neo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white MB 2.16GHz 3GB 320GB 10.6.1
I'm a little late to this party, but I've got to say I have been working on a 13" MacBook doing photo editing and page layouts. I recently started using a 24" iMac, and I HIGHLY recommend that for ease and enjoyment in graphics work. It's cheaper than the laptop you want to get too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
well i found a answer to my question, thanks ken rockwell!
Why Professionals Use Mac

Really?
linked article said:
Why do we use Mac? Simple: It just works.
That is the lamest "reasoning" for anyone to ever buy a Mac... and that is the underlying "reason" behind the whole article.

This article has been linked here before and I tore down his arguments piece by piece.
The article is riddled with inaccuracies, conjecture and is nothing more than one person's obviously biased opinion.

Now, of course I like Macs. But the only reason I like them over any other computer is my own personal preference.
They are not better than anything else out there. I simply prefer using OS X over any other operating system, therefore I use Macs.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
That has got to be one of the worst editorials ever written. Nothing like trying to prove a clearly personal bias as a practical argument.

Reaction score
if mom is computer-literate, take her to an apple store. i wouldn't consider getting a mac for my kid (price, couldn't support mac, only pc, etc., etc)...until, while in college her laptop overheated and eventually broke. i played on her new mbp and now the entire household has been migrating to macs.

- my daughter was a journalism major and purchased the creative suite in mac version.

- let mom know that pc software won't go to waste. there's the vm route.

- viruses and malware are pretty much non-existent

all the reasons why this mom gave in and now owns her own mac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.