New to mac, can't find bootcamp

Reaction score
hey everyone just switched to to mac 2 days ago and i am really enjoying having changed. Only thing is i want to play games still on it so i want windows and i hear boot camp comes with it? but i cant seem to find it. its a new computer, fresh from apple and also am curious will it slow my computer down?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Perhaps you should read the Boot Camp Installation and Setup Guide here.

No, it won't slow your Mac down because you will be booted into Windows. In other words, Windows will run just as well as it would on a similarly spec'd machine.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
After you have read the Installation Guide, the BootCamp Assistant app is located in Applications /Utilities.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Open Applications, Utilities, and then the Boot Camp Assistant.app. Be sure to read the Boot Camp Assistant instructions before running Boot Camp. Most folks like to print them out (it's a PDF file) and have it in front of them when running Boot Camp.

Once Windows is loaded and running properly from the Boot Camp partition that was created, it will run natively and will not slow your machine down. Windows will actually be available and accessed via a dual boot setup.

Be sure to read the sticky regarding running Windows on your Mac before you start.

Regards.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks guys i found. know i believe i just need to buy windows? what would you suggest? vista or xp? and is it expensive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.33 4GB: MacPro 8 Core 2.8, 16GB: MacMini 2.26 4GB: MacMin 2.53 4GB: iPhone3GS 32GB
Depending on your system specs, you may want to wait for Windows 7. Depending on what games you play you probably want the latest and greatest version of DirectX. For Vista this would be DirectX 10, XP only supports DirectX9.

Cost and expense vary depending upon where you get the license and what version you actually want. Online vendors such as NewEgg sells a variety of Windows flavors/versions (since there seems to be about 50 these days).

For your needs you probably just want the lower end version of Windows. You don't need Ultimate or business. Home Premium is probably your best bet and NewEgg even offers a Windows 7 upgrade coupon.

Newegg.com - Operating Systems, Microsoft Windows Vista, Windows Vista 32, Microsoft Windows XP, Microsoft Windows Media Center, Linux

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.