No composite video capability on New the new MacBook or MacBook Pro

Reaction score
I'm been using MacBook's as Composite Video device, with the S-Video/Video Mini DVI adapter until now... On June I ordered a new MacBook Intel Core Duo, 2.13 Ghz, and the new NVidia 9400 256Mb video. On my old computers, I just connected the Mini DVI adapter, and I had a strong, stable and powerful composite video signal to be used on our video systems (Videos, presentations, Live Events, Pro-Presenter, etc) Now, I connected the adapter to the new MacBook with no success. On the beginning I was thinking that the Mini DVI port was damaged, so I scheduled a visit to the Apple Store Genius bar, and by coincidence, the port was malfunctioning, so I had to return the brand new computer to Apple and I ordered a new MacBook Pro and on sales, they offered me the Micro DVI to video adapter, and they delivered the computer... but guess what... MacBook pro has no Mini or Micro DVI adapter... now they have MiniDisplay port, that it don't support Composite Video Adapter... so I returned (again) the MacBook Pro and this time I went directly to an Apple Store to buy a new MacBook... and this time I decided to try the port at the store... so once I tried the adapter, it didn't work, and the "genius" told me that the problem was that I had no a composite device attached to the adapter, and they have not a composite device to demonstrate that to me... so I got back to my office and I got a composite monitor, adapter and one of my old ones MacBook... back to the store and then another "Genius" tried to make it work, then he tried the adapter on other store new computers, and on my old one, and he tried also on another old one they had at the store, after all tests, he was able to confirm what I suspected... on the change of the video chip, the new MacBook has no longer composite video capabilities... Now the only way for me to get composite video, is, getting an old one laptop...

Is anyone who had the same problem and a different solution to deliver Composite Video from a MacBook or MacBook Pro?

Thanks

Reaction score
I found your post very helpful, cause I've been looking for an adapter for the MBP's display port.
So you're saying it's not possible to connect via composite, but is it possible to connect via DVI or VGA?

THX

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
To the OP: One solution is to get rid of the older composite monitors and purchase newer ones with DVI and HDMI input. Perhaps not cost effective for you but it would resolve the problem.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
A VGA scan converter should work.

Still, though...no matter how you do it, composite video provides absolutely awful quality, as you've probably noticed. Pretty much any projector or HDTV will have better options (VGA, DVI, HDMI) that will be easier to hook up to your MacBook.

OP
A
Reaction score
At this point to change from composite to any other format, is not possible (At least affordable) because I have everything in composite Video, Video Switcher, Preview & Program Monitors, Capture for streaming, and so for... At this point I'm ordering some old refurbished MacBooks... I hope this will work fine. Thanks for your feedback.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.