MBP is possessed by an evil spirit

Reaction score
i have a 2007 15" mbp that woke me up this morning trying to boot up. here's the story: last night after watching a couple comedy channel shows, i shutdown my machine and left it plugged in the wall. it sat atop my dresser, with the lid closed. i awoke to the boot-up chime and a bright light spilling out of the 2 mm screen/body crack. the machine then rapidly shutoff and repeated this two or three more times more without me intervening.

after a couple hours of investigating the problem, i'm now completely lost on what to do. i've read all the apple support pages, and tried all their suggestions including reformatting PRAM and SMC. however, nothing worked.

here are the facts:
- when i press the power button without the power cord attached--i.e. using just the battery--the chime sounds, hard disk (i think) makes its typical sound, the screen turns grayish-white....but....then, and just then, i hear a zzzzpp sound from the top left of the body (under the left speaker) and the boot up immediately fails.
- here's the kicker--when i press the power button with the power cord attached, and with or without the battery inserted = nothing happens; however, if i detach, then reattach the power cord, my mbp automatically boots up and follows the same pattern as above.
- my battery is fully charged
- the power cord light initially turns green, but after a minute or two it goes blank

i feel like this is BAD BAD BAD, but i'm hoping one of you mac geniuses will tell me it's simply simple.

any ideas?

many thanks to all who reply!!!!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Three possibilities:

1. Go to: System Preferences > Energy Saver > Options...and see what options you have "checked" there...there are some "auto" wake features.

2. Go to: System Preferences > Energy Saver > Schedule...and see if you have anything setup special there.

3. I have heard that the Mac OS needs to do "maintenance" on the hard drive every now & then (some sort of optimizing process).

If your computer is "sleeping" sometimes the computer will "wake up" to do these tasks. This usually happens in the "wee" hours of the morning, since most users are asleep at that time. Otherwise if these "maintenance" tasks happened during the day when you're using the computer, it could put everything you're doing on hold for 5-10 minutes.

I often find that my desktop computer is already running when I first go to use it in the morning...even though I KNOW that I put it to "sleep" the night before.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
i'm unable to start-up the machine, so options 1 and 2 will not work. i can say however, that i never touched these settings prior to this issue. as for option 3, i'm not sure this is applicable at this point.

Reaction score
You may need an exorcist...:D
(okay, totally unneccesary post, sorry...)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.