MBP battery and Apple Care

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4
Hi folks, quick question.

I recently had the battery on my MBP replaced, because it had 'died'. It simply wouldn't charge. There was no problem getting it replaced at the Apple reseller in Leeds as it was still in the original 12 month warranty period.

However, as it happened once already, I'm concerned that it will happen again. (Sod's first Law - if it'll happen to anyone, it'll happen to ME!).

Sooooo, does the extended Apple Care I bought for my MBP also cover the battery? I've read conflicting reports on various forums (fora?) that Apple Care does/does NOT cover the battery. Does anyone know for sure?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Reaction score

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I recently had the battery on my MBP replaced, because it had 'died'. It simply wouldn't charge. There was no problem getting it replaced at the Apple reseller in Leeds as it was still in the original 12 month warranty period.

Sooooo, does the extended Apple Care I bought for my MBP also cover the battery?

Like "DragonLance" already mentioned...Apple considers a laptop battery a "consumable" and thus is not covered under the warranty...unless the battery can be proven to be defective in some way.

Unless there were some special circumstances regarding your old battery...I am very very surprised Apple gave you a free replacement battery.

So as already said...NO...technically speaking the warranty is not supposed to cover the battery.

- Nick

OP
Leeds United FC
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4
Like "DragonLance" already mentioned...Apple considers a laptop battery a "consumable" and thus is not covered under the warranty...unless the battery can be proven to be defective in some way.

Unless there were some special circumstances regarding your old battery...I am very very surprised Apple gave you a free replacement battery.

So as already said...NO...technically speaking the warranty is not supposed to cover the battery.

- Nick

Well, I'm sorry.
But a computer that costs £1200 SHOULD have a battery that lasts for more than 12 months.

Apple obviously don't agree with you - that's why they changed it.

If it's NOT covered by AC, then fair enough. But you obviously don't have a clue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Well, I'm sorry.
But a computer that costs £1200 SHOULD have a battery that lasts for more than 12 months.

Apple obviously don't agree with you - that's why they changed it.

If it's NOT covered by AC, then fair enough. But you obviously don't have a clue.

Okay calm down now...

They shouldn't of replaced your battery if they went by what the warranty says. Since it was such a short time frame that the battery went bad it must have been a manufacture defect...

You have had your question answered and that is Apple Care does NOT cover the battery.

Thanks.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You're right, it should but cost doesn't preclude things from going wrong. In other words, just because something is expensive doesn't mean that it will work forever perfectly. Manufacturing defects come in all shapes and sizes and nothing is immune to this fact. This is why there's a 12 month warranty and Apple Care. If quality was correlated to cost, Macs wouldn't need a warranty by your logic. Would you buy an expensive machine if it had no warranty whatsoever?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Sooooo, does the extended Apple Care I bought for my MBP also cover the battery? I've read conflicting reports on various forums (fora?) that Apple Care does/does NOT cover the battery. Does anyone know for sure?

Apple will generally replace a battery that is defective during the original 12 month warranty - which is why they gave you a new one.

However, your question was regarding Apple Care and the answer you were given is correct. It is not covered. And that's what Nick told you. If you don't like the answer, I suggest you take it up with Apple UK.

Regards.

OP
Leeds United FC
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4
I guess I should have checked with Apple first
Your one-year warranty includes replacement coverage for a defective battery. You can extend your replacement coverage for a defective battery to three years from the date of your notebook purchase with the AppleCare Protection Plan

Thanks for all the replies anyway - even the ones that were BS

I'll go with what Apple says.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thanks for all the replies anyway - even the ones that were BS

I'm not really sure what the confusion is here.

"DragonLance" above provided a link to Apple's website with their DETAILED explanation of what is & what isn't covered by the warranty.

Apple's well known policy on batteries is...they are a "consumable" item, and as such are not covered under the warranty...UNLESS...it can be shown the battery is/was defective in some way.

If you actually did speak with someone from Apple...their interpretation of the warranty/Applecare does not seem to be consistent with what is stated on the website.

Please don't argue with us...we are only presenting you with information that Apple has made publicly available via their website.

You should also understand that we see battery issues & questions like yours posted on this website probably at least 10 times/week if not more! Your situation is nothing special. So we are well versed on how Apple handles battery situations!!!

In any case...hey I'll be the first guy to congratulate you on getting your first battery replaced for free. But don't be surprised the next time you try to get a battery replaced under warranty...and they don't do it.

- Nick

Reaction score

And that's why you're coming here asking...

I think you'll find that all of the above posters with the exeption of you and me:D could actually be able to give you som real, bonafide and wholesome help on this forum, so asking someone for help and then stating that they don't have a clue... well should I go on?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.