• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple Answers FCC letter, and posts very publicly

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
I'm sure you all have noticed smack on Apples home page a link to their response to the FCC which can be seen here:

Apple Answers the FCC’s Questions

What's interesting is their opinion on the software from Google (ie: their still "reviewing it" and their thoughts on how it changes the iphone interface), as well as a little interesting tidbit that they say that ATT has nothing to do with their software approval - although technically it does due to the answer to question #3 - which looks like any VOIP software, at least if it doesn't ONLY use wifi, will not be approved for the iphone without explicit permission from ATT - which means, if google voice does use ATTs network and not just wifi - regardless of how it may affect the iphone interface - ATT has a direct hand in approving it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Having now read that, I find Apples statements about Googles app changing the basic user interface to be interesting. Why would they want to allow a 3rd party to come in do that? I can see why Google is complaining, but it looks to me like my original assessment was right, Google is acting like a 12 year old girl who can't get her way.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
I noticed that too about the interface, I wish there were visuals to explain it, as that did make me curious - and technically, I was wondering - as most apps, once you hit your button in the center, the app exits anyway, so how permanent would googles changes be? Or would it be temporarily cosmetic as the app is displaying its' own screen like all apps do?

If it is truly changing the UI, even if the app isn't running, then yes, I think apple is in the right as it would seem google would be attempting to convert the iphone into an iG2. But even so, I thought Apples comment on how ATT doesn't authorize apps kind of funny because the way the contract is written ATT has automagically limited certain app availability and they don't even have to be there for a blow by blow authorization of each app.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.