Disk Image Problems

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24", 2.66Ghz
Hi,

I've downloaded both Skype and Google Earth, and have saved them to my Applications folder, as well as installed their icon on the dock.

However, regardless, every time I open either one, the disk image re-appears on the desktop. When I try to trash/eject it, it tells me I can't while the application is in use. Once I quit, I can, of course, eject the image.

Why can't I run these apps without the image appearing? I know it's something I'm doing wrong, but what is it?

Many thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
How did you save them?
Normally when you download these things, you open the .dmg file and get the disk image. From that you drag and drop the app into the applications folder, and this copies it, then you can eject the disk image and when you open the app it will open as normal, no disk image.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
It sounds like you have downloaded the dmg files for both, and added the dmg files to the apps folder, and added links to the dmg files in the doc.

That would end up mounting the dmg file every time.

You need to mount the disk image, open it and copy the Application inside to the applications folder
Mac 101: DMG files are Disk Images

Once done eject the disks, delete the false icons in the doc and the dmg files you copied to the applications folder, and finf the programs you installed in apps and add their icons to the doc

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Model Identifier: iMac9,1 Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Sounds as though you didn't actually install, but simply transferred the download files to the applications folder. Usually, what comes up when you open the download file is a window with the dmg file and an instruction to drag that file into the applications icon - that installs the software and puts the icon in your Applications folder. Seems like you've bypassed that process.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24", 2.66Ghz
Found a way around it. Thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.