Why hello

Reaction score
I hate to sound negative, but I'd really like someone to tell me I didn't waste my money with this mac pro. I was as avid PC user and have much experience on the LINUX/UNIX side.

My network responsiveness is HORRIBLE compared to my other machines, (same 'net connection) I cannot even view a HD streaming movie or radio iTunes radio with stuttering. It seems as the hardware developers are lazy or I'm not sure what as I haven't decompiled the network interface of the kernel.

I thought this was supposed to be nice, friendly and idiot proof?

LOL let's just say one of our nation's leading corporations have interest in apple's marketing. But being an engineer, I cannot recommend anything that has flaws like this. Prove me wrong? I've been around computers for at least 25 years and I know apples marketing and appeal, the user interface.

It seems as though it has failed, will I be able to bring OSX into the medical community without this stigma? Help me or it will forever be a novelty.

OP
N
Reaction score
or I'm sorry, can I deliver the OSX experience without much tweaking effort? I'm thinking it's not possible. Using OSX 10.5.7-8 I find the interface doesn't allow any sort of tweaking, and/or tuning. I have to use 3rd party apps and/or manual control of the BASH shell (which I find is different than a linux enviro). Why so much effort for something marketed as simple?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
If you can't stream HD video without stuttering or listen to iTunes radio, do you honestly believe this to be inherent to the OS or the drivers for the Gigabit NIC? Do you really believe that Apple could sell millions of computers with engineering flaws in fundamental technologies like this?

Having 25 years of experience with computers, you should know that troubleshooting starts with simple things and gradually moves toward the more complex. So, if you're here for help and not just as a troll, why don't you elaborate a bit on what leads you to conclude that this is just a fundamental flaw of the OS or the NIC itself?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
or I'm sorry, can I deliver the OSX experience without much tweaking effort? I'm thinking it's not possible. Using OSX 10.5.7-8 I find the interface doesn't allow any sort of tweaking, and/or tuning.

You're absolutely right, it's not designed to be tweaked, aside from cosmetics. Apple's design ethos from the start has been about simplicity and not needing to endlessly tweak a machine to get it to do the things you want it to.

I have to use 3rd party apps and/or manual control of the BASH shell (which I find is different than a linux enviro). Why so much effort for something marketed as simple?

Because 95% of all Mac users have probably never had reason to open a shell. If you happen to be an enthusiast and want to play with the nuts and bolts of the OS, so be it - but Apple has always been about abstracting the user from the complexity of a computer.

Frankly, I'm surprised to have to explain this to someone who purports to have been around computers for 25 years.

Reaction score
or I'm sorry, can I deliver the OSX experience without much tweaking effort? I'm thinking it's not possible. Using OSX 10.5.7-8 I find the interface doesn't allow any sort of tweaking, and/or tuning.
all the tweaking 99% of users need to do is through the system preferences.
If you're trying to tweak other stuff, you're probably doing it wrong.

Reaction score
Hey OS 10 is Unix. I have known avid PC users who try to punch DOS code
into Macs and wonder why they mess them up.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I have to use 3rd party apps and/or manual control of the BASH shell (which I find is different than a linux enviro).
It's not really that different. I've been using Linux for years and don't find the OS X *nix core to be very different. To point out the obvious as well, it will be different because OS X isn't Linux. Difference isn't a flaw though.

You only mention that you want to find out how a Mac can fit in with a corporation but you neglect to mention how. What are these machines going to be used for? You'll find that many people here won't try to convince you a Mac is the best option if it's clearly not as many people are still Windows users in some manner.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
What kind of Mac Pro do you have? Specs? I have a Mac Mini 1.83 Ghz with 3G memory and it is very responsive while playing videos, using iTunes and everything I've done with it so far.

I have a Linux machine running alongside this and find I can do things just as fast in Mac as I can in Linux, albeit without using the terminal so much. :)

Regards

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.