So I made the switch and I've got just a few annoyances

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.53 Core 2 Duo : 4GB
I'm hoping you guys can help me with some of these. Over all I've been very pleased with my switch but I'm missing a few key features that I used all the time on Windows and I can't seem to find on Mac.

1) I've got a wealth of history in my Office Outlook on Windows. I've got Entourage 08 on the Mac but I can't seem to find any easy way to migrate. The only information I can find is to install old version of Outlook and Entourage and tunnel through this version and that version to finally get to Entourage 2008 and hopefully have everything you need. I'd rather stick with Outlook in a VM if it boils down to all of that, but if there's an easier way I'd prefer using Entourage on the Mac.

2) Cut and paste. After awhile I may get used to this but I'll always know in the back of my mind seconds could be shaved from the task of moving files/folders from one location to another. On Windows, when I have a single file browser open, say I'm in c:/downloads/torrents/completed and I want to move the file heyman.mp3 from there to my c:/users/documents/music folder. In windows I just click the file, ctrl+x (cut) and then in that same file browser window I can browse to the folder I want and then ctrl+v (paste) and it'll move that data for me (not copy). The big argument I see here is "what happens if you forget to paste?" Well, if you forget to paste the data remains in the same place it was before you cut. You don't lose it. Anyway, on the Mac I always have to open a separate finder window and browse to the folder I want and then drag the data over. Petty, I know, but I like it a lot better with cut/paste. Any way to do it on a Mac?

3) Kind of on that same subject, when I'm in a save/open dialog and I'm browsing files/directories I can't make changes to the directories at all. I have to cancel back out and open a finder window if I want to do that. On Windows I can copy/cut/paste/rename/etc while I'm in an open/save dialog so I can arrange things on the fly as I'm saving/opening. I'm missing that here..??

4) Tabbing between buttons on dialog boxes and in web sites. This actually seems to vary depending on the application I'm using but it seems that OSX itself doesn't allow me to tab through options in dialog windows. For example, say I'm in Stickies and I do apple+n to create a new note. Make my changes and then apple+w to close and the Don't Save, Cancel, or Save... buttons come up. I can't tab to the option I want and select it with the keyboard. I'm forced to move to my house to finish this task. This drives me a little nuts. I work very quickly with the keyboard and when I have to move to the mouse it just kills the whole flow of things. :)

As I said, this seems to be allowed in some applications I'm using but I never can tell if it's going to work or not until I try and it doesn't, and then I switch to the mouse.

On the same note, when I'm tabbing through form fields in a web browser (FireFox) it skips over drop down fields. Why is that!? I'm tabbing through the form filling it out like crazy and then comes things like State, Country, Card Type, etc. and I'm forced to use the mouse for all of those.

5) At first I really didn't like how the dual monitor support in os x forces the menu bar and everything on a "primary display" leaving the additional display for just "extra space" or what have you. It's still not my favorite but I'm getting used to it. The thing that I can't live without is my 1-click button to move a window from 1 display to the other. For example, if I have Firefox open on my primary display and it's covering up my Dreamweaver that I'm working in. I want the FF window over on the other display. In Windows I can click 1 button that's next to my min/max buttons and it'll move that entire window over to the other display for me. On OSX I have to click and drag the window over and fit in there just right and everything. Wasted seconds each and every time I have to do that, which of course is MANY times a day.

6) This kind of falls back to the fact that I can't use Entourage on the Mac because I can't find a easy migration tool. Well, I'm using Outlook in a VM and this one thing is driving me crazy (that I really only notice while I'm trying to go through emails).

If I'm on the Mac browsing Outlook in a VM I can't use Ctrl to select items that are not right next to each other. For example, say you're looking at a list of 10 items and you want to selec the first, fifth, and seventh, and delete them all at once. On Mac you can use apple to select them, on windows it's ctrl (as opposed to Shift which would select all items between the two you select). Well, again, while on the VM I can't use Ctrl so I can't select random emails like that. Is there any way around that?

I think that's all I've got for now. I just got this thing about a week ago, though, so I'd imagine I'll more before long. :)

Any information on how to make any of these little annoyances better for me in the OSX world would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I will let others get the rest of your questions but I feel I should comment on #2. You can Cut/Paste in the Finder by holding down the Command key while dragging the file to the destination. Only reason I do not always do that (Even in Windows) is, what if something goes wrong? Power outage, lockup, destination drive chokes and it's an important file? File gone. I really prefer Copy/Paste and when I am sure everything is ok, then delete from source.

Over the years in Windows and later OSX it's saved me many times from loosing files I could never replace.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
see sig...
For the cut/paste, Windows uses control-x/c/v. OSX uses the apple/command key next to the spacebar. x/c/v still applies. When selecting multiple files, the apple/command key again replaces the control key.

Pretty much all of the shortcuts from Windows will be the same in OSX, except that instead of control or alt, you will use the apple/command key.

I fully agree with you on number 3 though. That is something that has irked me since I switched over.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
On #3, when you go Save As, you click on the blue arrow to the right of Save As and the window expands. You can make a new folder but not change the name of an existing one.

Two pics below, one stock and one after you click. You can see the New Folder button that appears.

Picture 1.jpg

Picture 3.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
see sig...
Yes, I know you can do the new folder, but what me and the OP refer to is the ability to change a file name from within the open/save dialog boxes.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, I know you can do the new folder, but what me and the OP refer to is the ability to change a file name from within the open/save dialog boxes.

Wanted to be SURE as many new mac users do not know about what I posted.

I do agree it would be nice if you could do more though like rename or whatever all right there.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
4) Tabbing between buttons on dialog boxes and in web sites. This actually seems to vary depending on the application I'm using but it seems that OSX itself doesn't allow me to tab through options in dialog windows. For example, say I'm in Stickies and I do apple+n to create a new note. Make my changes and then apple+w to close and the Don't Save, Cancel, or Save... buttons come up. I can't tab to the option I want and select it with the keyboard. I'm forced to move to my house to finish this task. This drives me a little nuts. I work very quickly with the keyboard and when I have to move to the mouse it just kills the whole flow of things. :)
I can't answer the others either because I don't use the software (like Entourage) or it's because I'm tired. For the tabbing between controls, go to System Preferences > Keyboard & Mouse > Keyboard Shortcuts. In this pane, make sure the "All Controls" radio button is selected at the bottom.

I'm also interested as to how you move your house to select the option you want. :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Keep in mind, this isn't Windows and isn't meant to be Windows. The two systems are different and there is no right and no wrong, there is just different.

You ultimately have to teach yourself to understand and, if nothing else, accept the differences between the two systems. If you can't manage that you will end up hating one or the other.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
see sig...
I can't answer the others either because I don't use the software (like Entourage) or it's because I'm tired. For the tabbing between controls, go to System Preferences > Keyboard & Mouse > Keyboard Shortcuts. In this pane, make sure the "All Controls" radio button is selected at the bottom.

I'm also interested as to how you move your house to select the option you want. :p

DUDE!!! That just fixed my only other interface gripe with OSX....now if only we could fix the first one (number 3 above)....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
You can copy and paste in the file browser if you are browsing in terminal rather easily, and if it's such a waste of time to open another finder window and shift+g to whatever other directory you needed and then click and drag, why not just use terminal so you can fully do everything on the keyboard?

Some of those other points though, I can see why they would be irksome. Like not being able to tab through drop down menus... of course, that's one thing that irks me about windows. I'm used to not having that field selected when I'm tabbing through a form.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, one down (actually 2 since holding Command will allow Cut/Paste) and how many to go? :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Regarding #1:

I don't use entourage, but what aren't you able to transfer between the two? What apps have you researched to attempt to do the transfer?

Suggested answer for #5:

Ultramon for Windows is basically the functionality your referring to - here's a program for OSX that does the same thing, and like ultramon isn't free, but isn't as expensive either...

Irradiated Software - SizeUp

Reaction score
#5: Go to system prefs/Display/Arrangement and drag the menubar over to the other display (your external monitor is now the default display).

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I will let others get the rest of your questions but I feel I should comment on #2. You can Cut/Paste in the Finder by holding down the Command key while dragging the file to the destination. Only reason I do not always do that (Even in Windows) is, what if something goes wrong? Power outage, lockup, destination drive chokes and it's an important file? File gone. I really prefer Copy/Paste and when I am sure everything is ok, then delete from source.

Over the years in Windows and later OSX it's saved me many times from loosing files I could never replace.

Dragging is exactly what I've been trying to avoid, but I appreciate the tip. I've been using Windows heavily for 10+ years and I do cut/paste all the time. I've never lost a single file doing so. If something goes wrong during the moving of the files it simply leaves the remaining files where they were originally.

For the cut/paste, Windows uses control-x/c/v. OSX uses the apple/command key next to the spacebar. x/c/v still applies. When selecting multiple files, the apple/command key again replaces the control key.

Pretty much all of the shortcuts from Windows will be the same in OSX, except that instead of control or alt, you will use the apple/command key.

I fully agree with you on number 3 though. That is something that has irked me since I switched over.

I understand that, but OSX itself does not have an actual CUT feature. apple+x does not cut. As for using ctrl/apple to select multiple files, I understand that, too. The problem is that when I remote desktop to a Windows machine the ctrl key doesn't work and neither does the apple key. As such, I simply can't select multiple files in an RD session with Windows from a Mac unless I use Shift. Not a huge deal, but still a little bit annoying.

On #3, when you go Save As, you click on the blue arrow to the right of Save As and the window expands. You can make a new folder but not change the name of an existing one.

Two pics below, one stock and one after you click. You can see the New Folder button that appears.

Thanks. I should have specified that I knew that already. What I'm really after is full access to the files/directories from within the dialog just as if I was browsing a Finder window.

Awesome! Thanks!

Regarding #1:

I don't use entourage, but what aren't you able to transfer between the two? What apps have you researched to attempt to do the transfer?

Suggested answer for #5:

Ultramon for Windows is basically the functionality your referring to - here's a program for OSX that does the same thing, and like ultramon isn't free, but isn't as expensive either...

Irradiated Software - SizeUp

Everything. Outlook exports a .pst file and Entourage can't import those. As such, I haven't even been able to get the emails themselves to move over much less all of my attachments, calendar history, contacts, tasks, RSS history, etc.

I've done a lot of searching around on Google as I explained in the OP the only methods I've found that "might" work are to install and old version of Outlook on Windows, and old version of Entourage on Mac (2001) then import into the old version of Entourage and then finally import into the new version...and it might work. First, I don't have the time to try and find old versions of software and second if it's going to take that much effort I'd rather just stick with Outlook in a VM. Looks like that's probably going to my only answer there.

#5: Go to system prefs/Display/Arrangement and drag the menubar over to the other display (your external monitor is now the default display).

This does not solve the problem. This simply makes the other monitor the primary display. That's not all at all what I was referring to, I'm afraid.

I appreciate all the feedback, although, it seems that my tabbing to drop downs is the only thing I've really been able to "fix". Any other tips or advise would be great. Thanks!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Command(Apple)+X does cut in applications, but just not the finder. I know what you were doing in Windows, but at least dragging holding Command does work as far as moving the file to the new location. I know, not the same but better than nothing I guess! :D

I started with Windows with version 3.0 before even 3.1, so understand what you are used to. I did mess with older Macs so got used to no Cut in the finder though before my first OSX Mac.

I also wish along with you on #3 that all functions were there when opening a Save window. Maybe in Snow Leopard.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Command(Apple)+X does cut in applications, but just not the finder. I know what you were doing in Windows, but at least dragging holding Command does work as far as moving the file to the new location. I know, not the same but better than nothing I guess! :D

I started with Windows with version 3.0 before even 3.1, so understand what you are used to. I did mess with older Macs so got used to no Cut in the finder though before my first OSX Mac.

I also wish along with you on #3 that all functions were there when opening a Save window. Maybe in Snow Leopard.

Good point, sorry. I do use cut/paste within applications with text but what I'm really after is the ability to move files/folders that way. I'm a little confused, though. When I have 2 finder windows open and I drag a folder from one to the other it does MOVE the folder, not copy it. It only copies if I drag from 1 disk to another disk, but if it's on the same disk it moves. I just don't like being forced to have 2 finder windows open all the time. I guess I'm picky. :)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That is a good point and always confused me. It does move on the same drive but not from drive to drive unless you hold Command. Oh well!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Hi again,

Thanks for the response - I was trying to figure where you were in the attempt to transfer your email. Have you looked at:

Mail2Mac? Mail2Mac - Transfer Outlook to Entourage or Apple Mail

or

Outlook2Mac Little Machines (this is what I used to transfer my mail/contacts/calendar from Outlook to Mail/Calendar/Contacts - although I don't use Entourage, according to the littlemachines website; the files it creates are compatible with entourage...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.