Why should I buy a iPod over a Zune?

Reaction score
Debating on getting a good MP3 player and really can't decide which I should get a iPod or a Zune. They both look nice, but which one will do the best in the long run and why? Thanks!

Take Care and May God Bless!

Ed;D

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I could probably think of a few good reasons but one right off the top. Is your main computer a mac with OSX? If so the Zune will not work with OSX. You have to have a copy of Windows on the Mac just to work with the Zune. Microsoft refuses to even do a thing to allow the Zune to work on OSX. That bugs me.

I like the Zune overall, but that one thing really bothers me more than anything else I could tell you.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
The Zune is a nice MP3 player, don't let anyone tell you otherwise - it's very capable and in many ways more so, than the iPod. As dtravis said, it's just not Mac-compatible, which is a shame.

Also, don't discount the 3rd party ecosystem that has grown up around the iPod. One of the major selling points for the iPod for me is just that - I can easily get an adapter that integrates it into my car without having to use a fussy tape adapter or FM modulator (which both suck for sound quality). There are few such adapters for the Zune and they only work with a handful of cars.

With full iPod integration, I never have to carry around CDs or worry about them getting damaged. My iPod integration ties into the factory stereo and lets me control the iPod through the radio's controls and also see the track name and other information right on the factory text display. And when you put it on shuffle, it's like having your own personal radio station with only music that you like :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Why should you by a Zune? Only you can decide that. I'm not sure why you would come to a Mac based forum and ask a question like this.

OP
R
Reaction score
Why should you by a Zune? Only you can decide that. I'm not sure why you would come to a Mac based forum and ask a question like this.

The only reason I posted this question was because I really wanted to get input from those who may know about the Zune and the iPod. I'm not a brand loyal guy (whatever works the best, I usually go with). That is why I finally came to getting a IMac computer. The part that is funny is I got this piece of advice from someone who had a windows based computer. I assumed that some on this section of MAC Forums may feel the same way. That is all sir.

Ed:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
You need an iPod, for it to work with your iMac, as cwa107 said.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The only reason I posted this question was because I really wanted to get input from those who may know about the Zune and the iPod. I'm not a brand loyal guy (whatever works the best, I usually go with). That is why I finally came to getting a IMac computer. The part that is funny is I got this piece of advice from someone who had a windows based computer. I assumed that some on this section of MAC Forums may feel the same way. That is all sir.

Ed:D

By the way, it's iMac and Mac, not IMac and MAC....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lol! Thankyou pedants corner.

That's always been a pet peeve of mine. If you're going to use the machine(s) at least know what they are called and how to properly spell them....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's always been a pet peeve of mine. If you're going to use the machine(s) at least know what they are called and how to properly spell them....

Agreed, I just found it funny.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Like already said, if you don't have access to Windows then you can cross the Zune out.

OP
R
Reaction score
By the way, it's iMac and Mac, not IMac and MAC....

Yes, sir. Won't happen again. Let me make sure I have this; iMac and Mac. Take Care and May God free you from your state of perfection.

May God Bless!

Ed:Cool:

OP
R
Reaction score
Like already said, if you don't have access to Windows then you can cross the Zune out.

Sir, I have access to both systems, although I'm still learning the OS operating system on my iMac.:Smirk:

Ed

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, sir. Won't happen again. Let me make sure I have this; iMac and Mac. Take Care and May God free you from your state of perfection.

May God Bless!

Ed:Cool:

Using religion to insult? Interesting touch, a bit hypocritical, but interesting...

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I really do not believe that was the intent of his God bless. It's what most christian people say when they are saying goodbye to one another.

Like others have said, since you are using a Mac, the iPod would be the best choice as it's just plug and play and a very nice music player besides.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I really do not believe that was the intent of his God bless. It's what most christian people say when they are saying goodbye to one another.

I was more thinking of the :

Take Care and May God free you from your state of perfection.

That was a backhanded insult if I ever heard one...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I'm thinking he's not from around here, could explain the eccentric manner in which he talks. However, that perfection comment was indeed a sly insult. Very well done, if I may say so myself :p

OP
R
Reaction score
Using religion to insult? Interesting touch, a bit hypocritical, but interesting...

Religion? No, it is not religion, it's a personal relationship with Christ. No insult intended sir. Thank you for correcting me. Just new to everything on the iMac and was just wondering about the iPod. You a Red Wings Fan? I am too. I went to see Gordie Howe's sports bar when I went to Traverse City in 2000. Beautiful place to live. Michigan in general has some very beautiful country.

Ed;D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.