do not know if last update is successful and it won't go past blue screen after reboo

Reaction score
Title:
do not know if last update is successful and it won't go past blue screen after reboot

Dear MBA users,

i tried to install an update yesterday and it rendered my MBA not bootable after installation. the update finished the installation and ask me to reboot. i tried rebooting but cannot pass the blue screen. i brought it to service and they said i better reinstall the entire os and the service technician also reset the motherboard so MBA can run now.

i am wondering if i need to reinstall the entire OS. (i don't own a dvd drive) can someone tell me if my last update is successful? i am attaching the install log below.

many thks in advance.

ecj

View attachment install log.txt

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Try booting the machine in Safe Mode (hold down S during startup). Then download the combo updater from Apple's website and attempt to reinstall that way.

OP
E
Reaction score
a few days later. i cannot boot the MBA anymore. it keeps saying disk i/o when i boot in verbose mode and then MBA automatically shut down.

any advice?

OP
E
Reaction score
in addition, can i retrieve the data from the harddisk. i can boot in single mode and it seems to be able to read the directory.

but when i type fsck -fy, it saids:-
** /dev/rdisk0s2
** Root file system
** Checking Non-journaled HFS Plus volume.
** Checking Extents Overflow file.
** Checking Catalog file.
disk0s2: I/O error.
Invalid node structure
(4,66)
** Volume check failed.
/dev/rdisk0s2 (hfs) Exited with signal 8
:/ root#

-------------------
how can i connect the an external drive to MBA and copy the harddisk?

cheers,

ecj

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
a few days later. i cannot boot the MBA anymore. it keeps saying disk i/o when i boot in verbose mode and then MBA automatically shut down.

any advice?

Have you tried booting in Safe Mode?

Reaction score
For the record, Edward, to boot into safe mode on a Mac, hold down SHIFT until the desktop comes up.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.