Freeky G4

Reaction score
I have a g4 450dp that I have pulled out of the closet to use as a server for my Apple TV. In order to run the proper Itunes for the ATV I have to upgrade the OS. I have now installed (all fresh and upgrade installs) 10.2,10.3 and 10.4, each does the same thing. Finder resets and takes me back to the desktop. It does it in all programs. Apple store genius said it was bad ram, so I have replaced all of the ram with brand new and it still does it. I have reset everything resettable from the key board.

Each of the OS installs were done on an old HD and a new one. Each was done as a upgrade, and a archive and install, and each as a wipe clean and install.

Anyone have any suggestions other than buying a newer system.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have a g4 450dp that I have pulled out of the closet to use as a server for my Apple TV. In order to run the proper Itunes for the ATV I have to upgrade the OS. I have now installed (all fresh and upgrade installs) 10.2,10.3 and 10.4, each does the same thing. Finder resets and takes me back to the desktop. It does it in all programs. Apple store genius said it was bad ram, so I have replaced all of the ram with brand new and it still does it. I have reset everything resettable from the key board.

Each of the OS installs were done on an old HD and a new one. Each was done as a upgrade, and a archive and install, and each as a wipe clean and install.

Anyone have any suggestions other than buying a newer system.

I'm actually a bit confused as to what your computer is doing.

- is it booting up ok?
- can maneuver around the desktop ok (open & close windows, create new folders, open up system preferences, etc.)?
- what do you mean by, "Finder resets and takes me back to the desktop. It does it in all programs." What exactly happens?
- What applications have you launched that do this?

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
Im confused also

System boots fine in all Os's. Dock looks fine and applications open. Once an application is open after a few moments the screen goes to solid blue then the desktop appears and the application is closed. it does it in all applications, safari, system pref, utilities, finder, and everything I have opened.

I feel it is hardware since I have done complete new installs to a blank Hard drive on 10.2, 10.3 and 10.4.

System is all original with the exceptions of the new ram and new hard drive. Installed new hard drive as it was doing it on the old one so I tried a new one to eliminate the drive as an option. As I stated before the genius boys at the Apple store said they though it was a bad ram chip so I relaced all 4 of them with brand new chips.

I can move around the desktop, but whatever function I try to do, at some point it flashes blue and I am back at the desktop like I had never started and anything I was working on is lost.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have a g4 450dp that I have pulled out of the closet to use as a server for my Apple TV.

I'm thinking back to your original statement that you "pulled it out of the closet".

Your computer was released by Apple July, 2000...which makes it around a 9 year old computer! The PRAM battery is probably dead. You would really be surprised how strange some Mac's act when their PRAM battery dies.

A few months ago I purchased a G3 PowerMac for like $10 bucks...and it was giving me all sorts of headaches trying to figure out what was wrong with it. Sometimes it would boot to the desktop for a few minutes & I could "mouse" around a bit, and then it would lock up...and then sometimes it wouldn't boot at all.

I was swapping out video cards, swapping ram, swapping hard drives, etc.

Then I swapped out a good PRAM battery from one of my other computers, and BAMM...it was working fine.

I think spending $4.99 on a new PRAM battery (or swap one from another Mac if it has the same battery) may be a good next step:

3.6v Newer Technology Lithium 1/2 AA PRAM Com... (3.6VPRAM) at OWC

After 9 years its pretty certain that the PRAM battery is probably dead.

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
Battery

I had replaced the battery once, but it was dated 2004, so I went and got a new one. Installed, booted, went to safari, went to Apple, then support, clicked on itunes, screen went blue then to my normal desktop.

I don't want to spend a lot of money on a machine this old, I just hate having something thats not working. What do you think about the early G5's using it as a server for the apple tv.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
That sounds like Finder is crashing. You already did the very thing I would do and change the RAM. 3 different OS installs. Crazy. Let me think on this one a bit and will get back to you.

Have any of the OSX installs ever got a Kernel Panic where a gray screen comes up in many languages?

Reaction score
I'm thinking back to your original statement that you "pulled it out of the closet".

- Nick

Hey Pigoo3...You think it may be a video card problem?... How about try to reset the Cuda button after installing the new battery.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey Pigoo3...You think it may be a video card problem?... How about try to reset the Cuda button after installing the new battery.

I'm assuming that this computer was put "in the closet" in 100% operating condition...but that could be a bad assumption.

But sure, it could be the video card...in a sense. If the computer was handled a little roughly when it was moved, the video card could have become dislodged slightly...so removing it & reinserting it is always something to try.

And hey...at this point resetting the "Cuda" button should be tried as well.

Good ideas,

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
The latest

I reset the cuda (if that is the button by the battery) still doing it. Took the video card out and reinstalled. booted up great, opened safari, went to several web sites all was fine, downloaded the newest itunes. Now before I could do none of this. Tried to install itunes was told needed 10.4.9 or higher so I let the system upgrade. Went back to install itunes and it would not do anything. Went into safari and back to the same old thing. This time it will not let me do a shut down, just flashes the blue screen than back to desktop.

Tried to boot in 10.3 (on it own hard drive - took the one with 10.4 out and put this one in) Went to login in, after I put in password went to black screen with the following,

"Darwin/BSD (Apple,Local,) (console)"
"Login"

Tried to login and does not work (didn't think it would, but at this point I would stand on my head if it said to)

This is just getting stranger.

I do want to thank you guys that are trying to help me.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Took the video card out and reinstalled. booted up great, opened safari, went to several web sites all was fine, downloaded the newest itunes. Now before I could do none of this.

Well this would seem to be much more positive then before! Seems like your computer likes 10.4 better.

I'm not sure what sort of video card you have in it...but maybe OS 10.3 doesn't have the correct video card drivers. Of course if this is the original video card that it came with, and it being a G4 450mhz...then 10.3 should be fine.

If you did happen to have installed or upgraded to a different video card than what came with it...maybe you need to find & download the drivers from the manufacturer's website.

Just some additional ideas to think about or try,

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
Thank You

Guys, thank you for all of your help. I decided that I didn't want to put anymore money or time in this system so I bought a G5 1.8DP 2gig ram and 250 gi hd for 250.00. I decided to play with it and see what happens, Again I really do want to thank everyone for the help.

Richard:)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Guys, thank you for all of your help. I decided that I didn't want to put anymore money or time in this system so I bought a G5 1.8DP 2gig ram and 250 gi hd for 250.00. I decided to play with it and see what happens, Again I really do want to thank everyone for the help.

Richard:)

$250 for that G5 computer sounds like a pretty nice deal. Maybe you were looking for a computer upgrade all along anyway!!!;)

At $250 for a MUCH more powerful computer...you can see how careful someone needs to be when spending money on an older G4.

Congrats on the G5...that's a nice upgrade!

- Nick

p.s. Can I ask where you got it...locally or on e-Bay?

OP
J
Reaction score
g5

Craigslist, several on ebay but this one popped up and I got to it first.

Richard

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Craigslist, several on ebay but this one popped up and I got to it first.

Richard

Yup...that's certainly the way Craig's List works...gotta hop on it first!

That was a real nice deal you got on that G5...I checked e-Bay...and most are still selling in the $400-$500 range.

What sort of shape is the case in?...sometimes the aluminum case can get pretty beat up.

Have you had any time to set it up & play with it?. If so what do you think overall, and what do you think vs. your G4?

- Nick

Reaction score
Good luck on the G5 and hope theres nothing wrong with it. Its only a deal if you can fix it. No freaky G5. Let us know what you got.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.