Fixing a leaky Powermac G5

Reaction score
I was given a Powermac G5 with dual 2.5's. When I got it, sometimes it would power-up and run (nothing on screen, no sounds). Other times it would just immediately power-off within a second or so.

When it would run for a few seconds, one of the fans would vary in speed.

I dug into it a little bit, removing the CPU's, and found that the cooling system for the CPU's had leaked down into the power supply.

Is this fatal? Or is it possible I just need to fix the cooling system and replace the power supply?

And if it is salvageable, are there any alternatives to liquid cooling for the CPU's? I'd hate to spring any more leaks.

Thanks!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Electronics, electricity, and moisture (as you probably know) are not a good mix!

Personally, I would never purchase a computer with a liquid cooling system for the very reason your experiencing.

If you have damage due to moisture, and can isolate & replace the parts that are damaged at a low price...you may have a decent solution.

But remember, since the liquid cooling system is leaking, not only will you have to replace the damaged electronics...but also the faulty liquid cooling system.

Good luck,

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.