Making Accounts for OS X

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 17", 1.8 Ghz, 1GB RAM
Hello everybody! Well I just learned that it would be better to have two accounts on a Mac, an administrator, and a personal one. Well when I started the Mac, I named the Administrator account, my name, hehe. Well what do I do know? I can change the name, but I can't change the short name. Could someone tell me what to do next after I make a new account? What restrictions should I put on it? Anthing else I should do with the account? Do I need to transfer my documents? Thanks in advance!

D

Dookie

I would also like to know something about accounts. I was just wondering if you can do it like windows does it. Like a login screen with various accouns and you just click on one, type in the pass, and your in. Does mac support something like that?

D

Desolate One

Dookie said:
I would also like to know something about accounts. I was just wondering if you can do it like windows does it. Like a login screen with various accouns and you just click on one, type in the pass, and your in. Does mac support something like that?

Yes, System Preferences=>Accounts=>Login Options Select "List of Users"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
BurntSmore said:
Hello everybody! Well I just learned that it would be better to have two accounts on a Mac, an administrator, and a personal one. Well when I started the Mac, I named the Administrator account, my name, hehe. Well what do I do know? I can change the name, but I can't change the short name. Could someone tell me what to do next after I make a new account? What restrictions should I put on it? Anthing else I should do with the account? Do I need to transfer my documents? Thanks in advance!
I would recommend making the second account a backup account thats also an admin account.and have the main/current account be the one you use.the other admin account can be an empty/unedited accountt, like a new unused mac, though all applications will still work and be in the apps folder, this account is best for things like troubleshooting, testing apps you are not sure about, etc. if you'd like a third account for guests or others to use, make one and make limitations in the 'limitations' tab. you can even set this account to have no password to gain access so anyone can use it, but require a password for software to be installed and such.
to make any account an admin account, select the desired account in the list of accounts, then under the security tab, near the bottom is a box that says 'allow this user to admin this computer' next to it, click it to put a checkmark in it, and that's now an admin account.
NOTE: an accounts name can be changed, and the short name is based from the accounts name as it is first entered, after naming any account, you can never change the short name.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.