Mail

Reaction score
One more thing...

If I delete a mail in my inbox then it is still there in my All Mail (Gmail) and if I delete a mail in my All Mail (Gmail) folder then that mail still remains in the inbox. Is there any way through which I can simultaneously delete mails from both the folders or do I have to delete in them separately every time?

If you delete one from the gmail server (Site), and then right click on the mailbox in the Mail app, and then Synchronize, it will mirror exactly what you have on the gmail server.

If however, you delete an email from the inbox (or any other folder for that matter) in the Mail app (move it to trash), it will delete it on the gmail server as well, and move it to the trash.

The use of the mail app with the gmail server is really intended to keep it so that you're using the mail app, and not switching back and forth.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Retina Macbook Pro 2014 model, 2.6 Ghz Core i5, 8 GB Ram and 256 GB SSD
Oh right, I got it. Thanks.

One more thing, should I tick the option of save the sent messages on the server or should I keep that unchecked?

What would be the consequences in both the cases?

Reaction score
Again, you may want to refer to the recommended set up found here: Recommended IMAP client settings - Gmail Help....which shows this:

From the Mail menu, click Preferences > Accounts > Mailbox Behaviors

Drafts:
Store draft messages on the server > do NOT check

Sent:
Store sent messages on the server > do NOT check

Junk:
Store junk messages on the server > checked
Delete junk messages when > Never

Trash:
Move deleted messages to the Trash mailbox > do NOT check
Store deleted messages on the server > do NOT check

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, got it.

Thank you so much once again macpwns. That was very helpful :)

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Can I import my contacts list in gmail to my mail? If it can be imported to the address book then I already have contacts in my address book which I sync with my cell phone and I don't want those contacts to mix with the e-mail ones so is there any of doing any such thing?

I want to have separate contacts for my mail purposes and don't want the cellphone to be altered in any manner.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.