Advanced Windows User - New iMac

Reaction score
Hello,
I am an advanced windows user for a long time and finally bought my first iMac 24" 3.0Ghz 1TB. I am mainly going to be using the mac for photos editing in PS, movie editing, and DVD creations. Some of the questions i have:

1. I have a dedicated Windows FileServer (FS) with (4TB in Raid 10, 2TB readable) that holds all the data that i own ie. music, movies, pictures. I'd prefer to keep the files there since the server is already setup. Is there anyway can you add a permanent share on the mac? I still want the pics, movies to show up normally on the iLife software from the FS. Is this possible?

2. I have a couple of AppleTv's that stream music (wired) from the FS to couple of rooms in the house. Would I gain anything to use the itunes on the mac instead of the FS? I'd still prefer to keep the music on the FS if possible unless there are some significant advantages to be had by using the mac.

3. Dual Boot Software - What do you recommend for dual boot software, Parallels, Vmware Fusion, or is there anything else that is better? What should I be cautious about when using these types of software?

4. What other tips/tricks should i know to get use to the mac, i've read some posts regarding how to setup the mouse for right-click etc. Looking for tips like that.

Thank You in advance for your input. :)

Regards,

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hello,
I am an advanced windows user for a long time

That and $.50 cents will get you a cup of bad coffee!;)

Welcome!

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Model Identifier: iMac9,1 Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Regarding virtual machine software, I've been using an iMac for just a few months and at the beginning I bought VMFusion to be able to run Windows for photo software (Photoshop, Essential HDR, etc.). That has worked perfectly - I keep Windows in a separate 'space' and just flick from one to the other as I need to - in fact, I think the programs run faster than they did on the Windows machine! I see posts about people install VMFusion or Parallels under Boot Camp and then have problems - don't bother: VMFusion installs happily without using Boot Camp.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Hello,
I am an advanced windows user for a long time and finally bought my first iMac 24" 3.0Ghz 1TB. I am mainly going to be using the mac for photos editing in PS, movie editing, and DVD creations. Some of the questions i have:

1. I have a dedicated Windows FileServer (FS) with (4TB in Raid 10, 2TB readable) that holds all the data that i own ie. music, movies, pictures. I'd prefer to keep the files there since the server is already setup. Is there anyway can you add a permanent share on the mac? I still want the pics, movies to show up normally on the iLife software from the FS. Is this possible?

Yes. The easiest thing to do is to connect to the drive, then right-click on the drive and click "Make Alias". Add the Alias to your Login Items and it will reconnect each time you reboot your machine.

2. I have a couple of AppleTv's that stream music (wired) from the FS to couple of rooms in the house. Would I gain anything to use the itunes on the mac instead of the FS? I'd still prefer to keep the music on the FS if possible unless there are some significant advantages to be had by using the mac.

In my opinion, no.

3. Dual Boot Software - What do you recommend for dual boot software, Parallels, Vmware Fusion, or is there anything else that is better? What should I be cautious about when using these types of software?

Parallels and Fusion allow you to run Windows side-by-side with Mac OS X. Boot Camp (a feature in Leopard) preps your Mac to run Windows natively. In this way, you can dual-boot between OS X and Windows. More info here.

4. What other tips/tricks should i know to get use to the mac, i've read some posts regarding how to setup the mouse for right-click etc. Looking for tips like that.

Thank You in advance for your input. :)

Regards,

Check out the Switcher's FAQ in the Switchers Forum (stickied at the top). Also, I'd recommend checking into Mac OS X Leopard: The Missing Manual.

Reaction score
Buying extra software to run windows will depend on whether you need/want to run OSX and Windows at the same time.
Boot camp is free, but you will have to run either Win Or OSX.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks

Thank You for your responses.

For the dual boot software, i am going to use the tool to run in conjunction with the macos.

OP
S
Reaction score
More questions

So I am finally up and running and so far absolutely love the new iMac.

I am able to connect to my shares through the finder and was able to make an alias. But is there a way to add the share to the apps for example, iPhoto. I'd like to keep all the images in the share but just wanted to add the location in iPhoto and use everything as usual in the app (Kind of Add a folder in iTunes). Is that possible? Or do i have to import everything on the mac to use the apps properly.

Thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.