ATI Radeon X1600 on Parallel Desktop 3.0

Reaction score
Hi

I would like to ask if is there any of you experience in installing video driver (ATI Radeon X1600) on iMac 5.1 running Windows XP sp2 on Parallel Desktop 3.0. I tried to download the driver from ati website. This is the link

http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx?p=xp/radeonx-xp

I tried both options in this link but it did not work. Also I did try the option for Apple boot camp but it did not work either. Any suggestion would be much appreciated.

Regards,
SG

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
You can't directly address the video card in a virtualized environment, like Parallels. You're not actually banging directly on the hardware as though you were running the OS natively. You need to use the Parallels video driver, which as I'm sure you've noted, has very limited 3D acceleration support. If 3D acceleration is very important to you, consider using Boot Camp instead of Parallels.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for your reply cwa107, actually after I met this problem I tried to google it and i found the solution from the Parallel website, it was exactly as same as like you said. However, I thought it would be nice if there is possible to use the real ATI driver with Parallel.

Anyway, I use this windows XP with only purpose for my Nokia N95 8gb because it is not supported in Vista, I had Vista with Boot camp already. Thanks again cwa107.

Regards,
SG

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.