G4 Dual Mirror doors - black screen, no boot sound.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hate to tell you this but on most occasions one buys a machine sans HDD, memory etc, she is a goner and suitable for parts only.

Yeah like Harry said...if you purchase a "stripped" computer then have to add the parts back (ram, HD, video card, and maybe even purchase an OS install disk)...you start getting into bigger & bigger bucks.

You basically have to make this investment in parts/software before you can even get the computer to boot to see if the darn motherboard is any good.

I would say at this point be very careful how much more $$$ you invest,

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
Yeah I know.

But I think I will buy a working G4 MDD excact like this one, I can get them on ebay.de for about $150 with OS X.

Then I can test what has gone wrong with this one, and then sell all the working parts on ebay again for about $400 total - then I will have a free G4 and money in my pocket :)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Yeah I know.

But I think I will buy a working G4 MDD excact like this one, I can get them on ebay.de for about $150 with OS X.

Then I can test what has gone wrong with this one, and then sell all the working parts on ebay again for about $400 total - then I will have a free G4 and money in my pocket :)

Do keep us posted on the outcome. Good luck!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I got one for $145 :)

Are you saying you got a 2nd one already...if so...wow!:)

I'm curious...if you can buy a working MDD for $145...do you really think that you can sell the working parts from your non-working MDD for $400?

Seems a bit lopsided.:Confused:

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If I find all the working parts I have on ebay, and put them together, there is for about $400..

And 16 bucks for the spare videocard I bought, gives a total on $394,95

Sorry my friend. Almost all of those "Buy It Now" auctions are not good reference points to estimate how much you might get for your parts.

Most of those auctions are run by e-Bay "business's"...and they'll let their auctions run for 6 months or more till they get the price they want...and even then they still may not sell because the price is too high.

There's only 1 item on your list that is fairly priced, and that's the used Airport card. Plus these are very easy to sell, because they can be used in many different Mac's...so they are a very high demand item.

Regarding the ram...that is definitely not a good reference. It's for a 1 gig stick of PC-3200. If you go to OWC/macsales...they don't even sell a 1 gig stick of PC-3200 for a MDD computer...so I wouldn't even use this in one of my Mac's...that's probably a kernel panic waiting to happen!!!:(

I'm not saying you can't make a decent amount of money selling your old MDD parts...I just think $400 is a good bit on the high side. I would figure closer to $250...and anything above that is a bonus.

Even then...it may take a while to sell the parts (at the price you want)...since some of your auctions may end with no bidders.

Don't forget to factor in Paypal fees as well...those always eat into your profits!!:(

Good luck,

- Nick

p.s. By the way...at least one of the parts you listed must be causing the kernel panic you're experiencing...so that may not even be a sellable part...so you would have to delete that part from the list...thus reducing your total.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And 1GB modules will not be recognised as such - MDD 512MB only and that may well be the reason for the kernel pancis..

OP
T
Reaction score
Yes I know, but I will try to sell at ebay.de instead, there is almost no G4 parts, so the prices can be higher.

OP
T
Reaction score
It was the logic board that was gone.

The new G4 i got, was only a single 1.25ghz - So i installed the dual 1.25ghz in the new one, and it bootet up just fine!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.