OpenOffice.org question!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Retina Macbook Pro 2014 model, 2.6 Ghz Core i5, 8 GB Ram and 256 GB SSD
Hello everyone,

When I open a file in openoffice.org and after editing and changing a few things, it prompts me to save it in the current format or in ODF as it states that the current editing and file particulars won't be saved correctly if not saved in ODF. I was wondering whether I should save in the current format or save it in ODF? If I save it in ODF, will that work in windows MS office or not.

I, at times, have to send some official stuff to my colleagues who use PC so at times I'm scared whether my documents created in Openoffice.org would display properly on their systems or whether the difference of softwares would create a lot of changes. Kindly, clarify this for me so that I'm careful with this.

Thank you.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Save it as a ODF, and then go back and do a file save as a doc for MS office. Just to be on the safe side.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What if the document I receive is in doc format. Should I even save it in ODF after editing it and then doc format to be on the safe side or if I already receive a doc format then I should save it as its current format?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
If you are doing work related stuff, I would suggest you experiment yourself with one of your colleagues. Take one of the docs they have sent, make some typical changes, save as changing the name to test.doc or something, send it back to them and have them check and verify that the formatting is correct.

That's really the only way you're going to be clear in your own mind that everything is ok.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you so much :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.