Using CrossOver to install Winows Live Messenger

Reaction score
Hi, im new to these forums, but i just have one quick question. I have been told by a friend that the application 'CrossOver' lets you run Windows apps on your mac, such as Windows Live Messenger. So ive downloaded Crossover, but now i have no idea what to do! Does it have to be done using a torrent?
I have looked for it using Google, but it just redirects me to the Mac version of MSN.

If anyone could have i would much appreciate it, thanks.

Jordan

Reaction score
What's wrong with the mac version? If you don't like the mac version, Adium supports Windows Messenger. Adium - Download

To use crossover Right click the desired Windows app>Open With> Select Crossover; It might take awhile to load. You can also open Crossover and select CrossOver Software Installer on the main page and go through the prompts. Note: Not all exe files can be run with Crossover. Hope this helps.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
There should be no need to run the Windows version. All of the features you need are available through other clients. While Adium doesn't have video support, aMSN does for example.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Crossover is just one of many ways of running Windows apps on your Mac. Unfortunately, it also tends to be one of the least reliable. Crossover uses an open-source technology known as WINE (short for WINE Is Not an Emulator). What it does is provides a abstraction layer, essentially translating Windows API calls to something that UNIX-like operating systems can run. Some applications (particularly MS Office) work acceptably on it, but unless the software is on Crossover's supported applications list, it's a crap shoot at best.

If you want to play around with it, why not try the free DarWINE for Mac? It's not as stable as Crossover, but it should give you an idea of what to expect.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.