Won't save preferences

Reaction score
First time mac owner here!

I bought a 2007 macbook off of eBay. It worked great, but I was sick of seeing the previous owners name everywhere. I wanted to change the short name, so I googled how to do since it was grayed out. I found directions on how to change it on Apples website. I followed the instructions which told me to create a new account and transfer all the files from the old account to the new one. I followed the instructions exactly, and it worked, but now the computer is acting funny. I can't change the wallpaper, if i change settings they will change, but when I restart the computer everything goes back to the way it was. I can't put bookmarks on the bookmark bar in Safari. I can't download Firefox. The list goes on. I deleted the old account, so there is not going back to that.

Should I just make a new account and not transfer the files? There is nothing I need on the account just the stuff that comes with the OS anyway. I don't have any of the original disks, or I would just start from scratch. If I make a new account with iPhoto and all that stuff be there?

Sorry for the long post and I appreciate your help!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
When purchasing a used machine, whether it be a Mac or a PC, it's best to clean reinstall the OS and applications. The previous owner should have included the restore set of DVDs. Give Apple a call and order a set of restore disks for your machine. Or if you wish, you can buy a retail copy of Leopard from Amazon or NewEgg. Either way, that will allow you to reinstall OS X clean and reinstall applications.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP (2009), White MB (2009), iMac G4
Never buy a used Mac without the original disks.

The only way you are going to sort out your issues for sure is to do a clean install. Like chsag said, you are going to have to purchase a retail copy of Leopard to do it.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Never buy a used Mac without the original disks.

In a perfect world...yes I would agree. But the world isn't perfect...and you can get some really awesome deals on used Mac's sometimes...but they won't come with the original disks.

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
In a perfect world...yes I would agree. But the world isn't perfect...and you can get some really awesome deals on used Mac's sometimes...but they won't come with the original disks. - Nick

That's why my advice to a potential Mac buyer looking for a great deal - is stay away from eBay or Craig's list unless you can meet face to face with the seller. The best deals on used Mac machines are from Apple. (refurbished)

Regards.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
That's why my advice to a potential Mac buyer looking for a great deal - is stay away from eBay or Craig's list unless you can meet face to face with the seller. The best deals on used Mac machines are from Apple. (refurbished)

Regards.

I definitely agree with what you said about e-Bay...it is riskier because you cannot see the computer before you buy it...but that being said, I have purchased at least 5-7 computers on e-Bay and they have been fine. You just have to be careful who you're dealing with, and ask lots of careful questions.

As far as Craig's List. In my humble opinion...99% of the transactions on Craig's List ARE face to face...so there are no issues here. I have probably purchased 10-15 computers this way.

Lastly...yes I agree that Apple refurbished computers are a decent deal, especially since they come with a 12 month warranty. But this avenue only works for people that are looking for a relatively new model computer. If you're looking at or for a 2-3 year or older used computer this is not an option.

The term "Great Deal" really cannot be applied to Apple refurbished computers...they are a good or decent deal...since (in many cases) are only a couple hundred dollars less than what the new models sell for.

Do you want to know what a GREAT DEAL or DEALS are?...I will give you some examples of great deals I have purchased in the last 1-9 months:

- 20" iMac 2.4ghz, Craig's List, had 6 months of warranty left, got it for $700, Apple Store $1100.

- 1st generation Mac Pro, Craig's List, got it for $1050, e-Bay at the time selling for $1800-$2000, 9 months later $1500-$1600 on e-Bay.

- MacBook, Core 2 Duo. 2.0 ghz. Craig's List, got it for $400, Mac2Sell value $690.

- MacBook Pro, 17" Core 2 Duo 2.33 ghz, PRISTINE condition, not a scratch or dent on it. Craig's List, got it for $725, Mac2Sell value, $1300!

Are there risks buying a used computer...darn right there are!!! But if you're careful, ask the right questions, know what to look for, you can minimize the risks.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.