Very slow wireless internet!

Reaction score
A few days ago my wireless internet speeds severely decreased.

I'm using a Belkin wireless router. Airport shows all bars full and speedtest.net shows me my usual speed (16mps dnl 0.72mps upl)

I'm on a 13' unibody MB from late 2008.

I haven't changed anything but all of a sudden my speeds have decreased. I'm worried it might be a trojan but I did a ClamXav scan and found nothing.

Help?

EDIT: I should add I have cable broadband running into a modem which then connects to my router to get wireless.

Reaction score
Most likely the broadband connection. Someone new in the neighberhood sucking up the band speed. The more things connected,TVS,etc the slower it gets. Could be the modem. Try resetting it. Modems do go bad.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Are you using a secure connection? If you're getting wireless in the clear, someone may be piggy backing on your signal sucking up your bandwidth. That will definitely slow you down. Make sure you have security setup in your router. Use WPA2 to secure your signal.

Regards.

OP
drummerkid1993
Reaction score
I have it password secured and I'm only using one device (my laptop) I've unplugged both the modem and router from the wall for 30 seconds and reconnected. I'll contact my ISP.

Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.