picture storage

Reaction score
I'm new to mac - I justed purchased a new macbook pro 15" with 320 gig harddrive - I'm also learning to use Aperture and Iphoto. So i do a little photography and I have about 7000 photo's on my Window desktop right now. I'm not going to import all the photo's onto the mac but as I continue to take pictures and import some of the 7000 photo's I have I don't want to fill up the 320 gig hard drive. I do have a 250 gig external hard drive that is formated for windows which I would like to format for mac(little help on that would be nice). What do some of you do, can you export from Aperture or Iphoto to the external hard drive and save what you have processed. Right now I'm accessing the 250gig hard drive and navigating to the backup folder of my pictures and dragging them in to Iphoto or Aperture libary. Please note that I just got Aperture yesterday and I'm still learning but Iphoto seems pretty straight forward and thats the only photo work I have done. Lot to learn!!!!

Any tips would be nice

Thanks ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" Glossy 2.16 gHz/2gig/320g
I can't help with the iphoto or Aperture questions since I use neither one, but I don't think you will fill up your hard drive with 7,000 photos. Not sure if you shoot in JPEG or Raw, but even 7000 raw files would not fill that up...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo mac book 2gigs ram, 16gig Ipad 2, 16gig Nano, 2 32gig Iphone 4s
Reaction score
I have had my iMac for just over a year. I am quickly using up the memory with pics and videos. Would you suggest moving my iPhoto library to my external drive using the above mentioned method? Once I do that, do I access iPhoto in a different way? I am also thinking of upgrading to iPhoto 09. Should I do this before reorganizing these files or does that matter? I definitely do not want to lose my events that are separated by date/title.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.