iMac 20" suddenly won't turn on

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Well today I used our iMac that is about 3-4 years old,and it worked without flaws just as it has the whole time we have owned it. I went home this afternoon to use it real quick to check our email,and I had not turned it off when I left earlier. Now when I tried waking it up it wouldn't,and then I thought well maybe we lost power during the day,and I pushed the power button. Well it didn't turn on by doing this,and I have no idea why it is doing this. The plug strip it is plugged int o has power,and the computer is plugged in. Any ideas? Should I bring it to the local apple store? Will this cost a bunch of money at the apple store to fix? Did we just lose our entire collection of photos,and music,and such?

Chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Hope you had all those photos backed up to an external drive or burnt onto DVDs. Sounds like the power supply has gone as you get no chime or flash or anything.

Try unplugging everything, leave overnight and connect to a different power point with another power cord if you have one available. Off to the Apple shop is always the last resort. Apple say much the same:-

iMac (Flat Panel): Computer Will Not Turn On

OP
M
Reaction score
No I didn't have them backed up. Does this mean I have lost them? I sure hope not. Please tell me I can get them back.

Chris

T

todd51

I have had this happen before. Try unplugging the power to the computer and holding the power button down for a couple of seconds. Then plug it back in and try to turn it on.

OP
M
Reaction score
So I got home today,and tried taking the cord out of the plug strip,and plugged it into a close by outlet,and viola it worked like a charm. Now I guess I need to figure out why one plug on the plug strip is not working. Also I think I will look into getting the latest version of OSX,and get a external hard drive so I can use time machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Great news especially about that external HDD. They are absolutely essential and personally prefer SuperDuper for a weekly backup.

Reaction score
Just so you know: it is HIGHLY unlikely you would have lost your music/photos.
Internal hard drives can be taken out and placed in a new machine, even if every other component is fried.
though, of course, the hard drive CAN get damaged too ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.