• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Tv or Monitor?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 Mac Mini: 500GB-8GH : iPad 2 64GB
So, in the near future I am going to save up and buy i bigger display to watch movies. I originally settled on a widescreen monitor(like the apple cinema displays) but i also noticed that flat-screen Tvs were larger for the same amount of money (and cheeper one to!). Im all about saving money but I would like some expert oppinions on:
Tvs vs Monitors
Best brands
and other info

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Just my opinion...

I don't get it. If your intent is movies, then why not buy the display setup for it.

I would think that these HD TVs are more capable for your intended content, movies and TV. For instance, do not some of them (if not all now) handle up conversion. Most have more than one input port and many can have a custom setting per input. As of now, OS X cannot playback Blu-Ray, so you'll have to buy a separate machine and need an extra input for that. When you want to just watch TV, you don't have to power up everything else in the chain just to do that.

I've also seen mentioned that the two devices are setup differently for the expected viewing environments. I don't know if this is fully adjustable, but if it is, you would definitely want those settings per input device.

As for use as another monitor, I don't think viewing text on it would be that great. It would be unsharp compared to a monitor which has smaller and more densely packed pixels. Perhaps that would be fine, and cool, from 10 feet away.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.