share ethernet internet via wireless d-link usb to ibook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 8GB RAM
HI

From what I have read I understood it is possible to share internet (I have fiber and have a wired ethernet network NOT a wireless one) in Leopard using a wireless card.

I bought a D-Link Wireless G USB adapter DWL - G122. I installed it in my G5 desktop computer since I do NOT have an airport card in it- I am running Leopard. We have a laptop ibook G4 that does have an airport card but has a broken ethernet card, so I thought I could hook up so that I could share my internet connection via the wireless USB adapter.

I have done a lot of searches and attempts, but am getting nowhere. In the setup section for networking and sharing on the G5 I never get up airport as a selection, just the USB adapter, and am unable to connect from the iBook.

Any advice?

thanks!

Bert in Sweden

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 13" 2.13GHz - Intel Core 2 Duo 2GB DDR2 Memory - 160GB HD - NVIDIA GeForce 9400M
Hey, I've gone through this before, trying to share my Mac's internet connection with a PC. I never did get that to work. I think my problem was a windows thing.

The only thing I'm not sure of is how the USB WiFi dongle shows up in the Network Preferences on your desktop Mac. If it doesn't show up in there you'll have to add it.

Once you have that in order, you'll want to select your ethernet connection and hit advanced.

Go to the tab on the right and enable internet sharing. You'll be sharing your connection through ethernet over your wireless adaptor, obviously, I can't remember the exact wording, but you set the internet source and what you share it through on this panel. You should also be able to set up security and a network name here.

Now here's the part that's tricky. Leave the Network Pref.pane and go into sharing. Under Firewall, you have to allow Internet Sharing traffic.
You may also need to do this on the laptop with which you would like to connect.

I'm sorry if my instructions are a touch vague, I'm answering your question away from my Mac.

OP
bdeivert
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 8GB RAM
Thanks for the tip joeyboots,

I did everything but there is one problem. On my desktop mac, which lacks airport, but only the USB ethernet wireless adapter, it does not have an AIRPORT selection for the computer to share and connect with. THAT computer does have airport, and can't connect to the USB desktop wireless... running latest Leopard on the desktop and Tiger on the iBook G4.

Confusing. the USB wifi dongle appears on the desktop model in the network section, so I checked share your connection from USB ethernet... TO COMPUTERS using... but no airport only the USB ETHERNET firewire or ethernet..

thanks!:(
BERT

Hey, I've gone through this before, trying to share my Mac's internet connection with a PC. I never did get that to work. I think my problem was a windows thing.

The only thing I'm not sure of is how the USB WiFi dongle shows up in the Network Preferences on your desktop Mac. If it doesn't show up in there you'll have to add it.

Once you have that in order, you'll want to select your ethernet connection and hit advanced.

Go to the tab on the right and enable internet sharing. You'll be sharing your connection through ethernet over your wireless adaptor, obviously, I can't remember the exact wording, but you set the internet source and what you share it through on this panel. You should also be able to set up security and a network name here.

Now here's the part that's tricky. Leave the Network Pref.pane and go into sharing. Under Firewall, you have to allow Internet Sharing traffic.
You may also need to do this on the laptop with which you would like to connect.

I'm sorry if my instructions are a touch vague, I'm answering your question away from my Mac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.