Upgrading OS X 10.3 on an eMac

Reaction score
The eMac is:

1 GHz PowerPC G4 CPU
640 MB RAM
OS X 10.3.9

Usage is web, email, light word processing.

Upgrading to 10.4 Tiger should be no problem, as the specs of the machine well exceed min. requirements. The machine exceeds min. specs for 10.5 Leopard, but not by much.

My inclination would be to buy a used 10.4 Tiger disk and upgrade, but skip 10.5.

The eMac is my very non-tech Dad's. While I have some experience with Macs and OS X, my knowledge is more in the Windows and Linux realm.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Thanks,

jbarntt

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
In your place i would do the change to Tiger, with that G4 it should be a nice improvement. Leopard has a lot of gee whizz features that will not add much to your Dads G4. Make sure u get this disk not the grey ones;

Click for full size

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks Collin,

Am I correct in assuming I need a Tiger disk as would've been sold by Apple stand alone, rather than one that came with a particular system ?

jbarntt

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Just checked and the drive should be OK - M8950LL/A shipped with a DVD-ROM/CD-RW combo drive that "reads DVDs at up to 8x speed, writes CD-R discs at up to 32x speed, writes CD-RW discs at up to 10x speed, [and] reads CDs at up to 32x speed", and M8951LL/A shipped with a DVD-R/CD-RW SuperDrive that "writes DVD-R discs at up to 4x speed, reads DVDs at up to 8x speed, writes CD-R discs at up to 16x speed, writes CD-RW discs at up to 8x speed, [and] reads CDs at up to 32x speed."

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks Collin,

I think You've given me the info I need.

Best Regards,

jbarntt

P.S. - I'd like to visit NZ someday, supposed to be a great place.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.