G5 Quad still a good option or do I need to be punched in the face?

Reaction score
My friend says I need to be punched in the face, what do you guys think?

I am returning to school for web design/game design (dual majors) in 2 months and need to get a new rig and I have about $1500 max. So I'm looking at getting either an 08 iMac with 8800 GS nVidia (I'd get the new model if possible) or a G5 quad and throwing in either the Quadro FX 4500 or the 7800gtx. Yes I know Snow Leopard does not support PPC and some apps in CS4 doesn't either but it still seems, to me, to be the better option mainly for it's expandability and I can always just stick with CS3. I'm not too certain of the programs I'd be using in my game design courses but down the road I can always build an inexpensive yet beefy PC if need be (I work at an electronics store.) I just know that at the very least what I would be spending on the iMac alone, I could get a G5 Quad, the 7800gtx card, at least pump it up to 10gigs ram, and throw in one if not two 1.5tb Seagate Barracudas.

I'd prefer a Mac Pro but even the first gen Mac Pros still go for over 1600 bucks on ebay. By the time Id upgrade the ram, graphic card, and hard drive (if need be) I'd most likely be over 2K.

Regardless if I get the G5 or imac I plan on selling it off to upgrade to an 8 core mac pro with in the next 24 months so it's just going to be a temporary solution anyways.

So, am I off base with my reasoning to be leaning towards the G5 or do I really need to be punched in the face?

What do you guys think?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
For what you are planning on doing a G5 Quad should be fine. Go kick your friend in his *****.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Punched in the face for liking a computer? Amazing. I would ditch the friend.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
For web design, this would not be a problem with the G5.

For game design - ???

I'd suggest calling the school and ask if a PPC will get you through 2 years of classes before you buy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nMP 6-core/32Gb/D700/512Gb: rMBP 15" 2.3GHz/16Gb/512Gb: iPhone 6 128Gb: iPad Air 2 128Gb: NEC PA322U
The G5s are still great machines - I had a dual 2.7, the Quad would've been awesome.

However, as bobtomay stated, I've never done game design so I don't know what apps you'd be working with aside from CS3/4 (which ran great on my dual 2.7).

The Quadro FX 4500 isn't cheap tho, even second hand!

Other thing to consider is the iMac would be able to run Windows/Linux easily and it comes with a good graphics card and monitor from the off.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
My friend says I need to be punched in the face, what do you guys think?

I am returning to school for web design/game design (dual majors) in 2 months and need to get a new rig and I have about $1500 max.

I'd prefer a Mac Pro but even the first gen Mac Pros still go for over 1600 bucks on ebay. By the time Id upgrade the ram, graphic card, and hard drive (if need be) I'd most likely be over 2K.

Regardless if I get the G5 or imac I plan on selling it off to upgrade to an 8 core mac pro with in the next 24 months so it's just going to be a temporary solution anyways.

So, am I off base with my reasoning to be leaning towards the G5 or do I really need to be punched in the face?

What do you guys think?

Here are my thought regarding your situation:

- yes a first generation Mac Pro can sell for close to $1600 on e-Bay. But, I bought my 1st generation Mac Pro on Craigs List for $1050... that was 6-8 months ago when they were worth more! So good deals can be found on a Mac Pro.

- as far as your $1500 budget. Although G5 desktops are still very good computers...when you start talking spending $1500 bucks for a G5 "rig"...I don't really think it's the best way to spend your money....AND you mentioned within 24 months you're going to be selling this "rig" and upgrading to an 8-core Mac Pro.

Here are the options I would recommend if you have $1500 to spend:

1. Watch Craig's List or e-Bay for an affordable 1st generation Mac Pro.
2. Check out the online Apple Store for prices on refurbished iMac's...and get the fastest one within your budget.
3. If you still want to go for a G5 desktop...look for something like a 2.3 ghz dual processor G5 desktop. You should be able to get one of these for around $500-$600.

As far as a punch in the face...Well...a punch in the face is never much fun...unless it leads to a "chick" thinking you're "brave"...and eventually getting you laid!!! ;D

Good luck,

- Nick

Reaction score
I want one too, and

I know I should be punched in the face. I shouldn't be wasting money on a G5 Quad, but everyday I can't stop ebaying and looking. I think it would be a great time seeing as how those who want to run snow leopard can't they might be getting rid of theirs...

It's the liquid cooling for me... and will it still be working in 3-5 more years...

ugh

Laters...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.