Macbook Pro not recognizing printer

Reaction score
My Hp deskjet f4280 printer recently stopped working on my macbook pro. It used to work fine but it started saying the printer was offline then when I tried to resolve the issue it stopped recognizing the printer at all. If anyone knows a solution to this that won't mess up the computer I would really appreciate it!

Computer is running latest version of OS X and is currently up to date.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Is this connected via usb and did you try another usb cable also do you have
the most current drivers for this model.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
If connected wirelessly did u change anything on the LAN at the time it stopped working. You could try going into Sys Prefs/Print & Fax select current printer delete it, then click + to add your current printer again.

OP
C
Reaction score
I did not try another cable, I don't think I have one.
The first thing I tried was updating the drivers. I found a driver package for the hp f4200 line of printers but for some reason it did not support the specific printer i had. then when i went in to delete and re-add the printer i found it had already deleted it when i tried to install the drivers. And that's when it wouldn't recognize it anymore.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Delete the printer - if you have HP software that you have installed - use it's uninstaller to remove it.

Here is the latest driver from HP for your model.
Select software and drivers 

OP
C
Reaction score
That is the package I tried. After it was installed it would not recognize the printer even though it's listed under the compatible printers.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.