• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

iMovie 09

Reaction score
So please someone help me out.

Here is the problem.

I want to import video clips into iMovie 09, they are in .Mov format. When I click the and drag ontoo of the open iMovie, nothing imports. I go to File > Import > Movies.....The files are blanked out ( grayed out ) and I cannot click them to import.

So does anyone know what is going on? I have tried other video formats too. Its annoying me as im new to this new iMovie as I only got my iMac today.

Please help if you can, much appreciated!!

OP
N
Reaction score
For anyone else that may ever fall into this same problem.

It seems that some .mov files have certain settings and codecs that are not noticed by iMovie 09. Now what I have had to do is download this program > Squared 5 - MPEG Streamclip video converter for Mac and Windows to convert my videos into a format that is noticeable to iMovie 09.

Now this is not exactly what I wanted to do but if anyone has any other advice, please leave a message. Still this does work and you should be able to keep your HD quality through the convert.

( let me know if you have this problem to and whether you had any success. )

Peace!

Reaction score
Yeah usually i just use MPEG Streamclip. Anyone know what the codecs that iMovie recognizes are???

Reaction score
i've been having the same problem thou none of my iphoto videos turns up in imovie. although a couple of weeks ago they have, which makes me very confused.

isn't there just a plugin you can install to increase the compatibility for imovie? that accepts all kinds of video formats

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Since mov is a catch all extension for various codecs, it's hard to say which codecs will and won't work. You can see the codec by selecting the file in the Finder, clicking "More Info" and looking at the codecs under "More Info" in the Information window. If iMovie won't accept it, take note of the codec, then convert it with Quicktime Player into something iMovie will accept. I don't know of any plugins that work universally for all codecs, but there is an mpeg plugin you can buy for Quicktime Player. However, there may be a way to get the new Quicktime X to convert it.

Reaction score
re:

For anyone else that may ever fall into this same problem.

It seems that some .mov files have certain settings and codecs that are not noticed by iMovie 09. Now what I have had to do is download this program > Squared 5 - MPEG Streamclip video converter for Mac and Windows to convert my videos into a format that is noticeable to iMovie 09.

Now this is not exactly what I wanted to do but if anyone has any other advice, please leave a message. Still this does work and you should be able to keep your HD quality through the convert.

( let me know if you have this problem to and whether you had any success. )

Peace!

Which format did you convert it to?

Thanks,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24inch
I have tried that squareed5 link, and I cant download it. Any more advice??

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.