Macbook Pro or iMac?

Reaction score
Hello,
I am going to get a new mac this weekend for my birthday and i was wondering what peoples thoughts about the macbook pro and imac were?
I use a macbook but the screen is cracked so its time to upgrade to something better.
My two things is I like the macbook pro because its portable but the nice thing about the imac is the screen size. I guess I will have to see what works better for me. I do go to a cabin on the weekends but if I do get the imac I guess I can take my old macbook with me.
Macbook pro or imac? Thoughts?

Anna

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Well it looks like you got a few choices.

1. Get an iMac and keep your old MB
2. Get a MBP and hook it up to an external monitor.

I go with which ever one is more convenient for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Nano 4gb, 20" 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of ram, ATI HD 2600 pro
If you want take your laptop with you, I'd say get the MBP, get something that makes you happier in the long run.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 Inch Apple MacBook Pro; 2.40 GHZ, 4GB Ram, 250GB HDD
and then maybe you could sell your old MB some people are willing to buy damaged or broken computers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13-inch white macbook, 2.4 GHz intel core2 duo, 2GB RAM, 160GB HDD, Airport Extreme card, OS10.5
It really depends on what you want and is most convenient. I'd say that if you are the type of person who does frequent video editing and such, get the iMac. If not then get the MBP and get some accesories

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, 13.3" || iMac 20" 2.16 GHz C2D, 250 GB HD, 2 GB RAM, || 32GB i-Phone 4 || 32GB AT&T 3G iPad
Both are great machines. The question is whether or not you need to have portability for the majority of time. If portability is a perference of is needed, I say go with the MBP. If most of your computing time will be spent at your desk, go with the iMac.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
My two things is I like the macbook pro because its portable but the nice thing about the imac is the screen size.

What about this...how about getting the MacBook Pro for the portability, and purchasing a decent 24" external display that you can plug into the MBP when working at home.

- Nick

T

todd51

If your wanting to travel at all like you had mentioned, I would get the MBP, then pickup another monitor. This way you can use it like a desktop when your at home, or just pick up and go when you travel to your cabin on the weekends.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
If your wanting to travel at all like you had mentioned, I would get the MBP, then pickup another monitor. This way you can use it like a desktop when your at home, or just pick up and go when you travel to your cabin on the weekends.

Didn't I already say that! ;D

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
Go the MBP route.

I had an iMac, got the MBP, sold the iMac, bought a 24" Cinema display and couldn't be happier.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.