Sending Pop Email

Reaction score
I'm on a G4 Powerbook running OS 10.4.11.

I set up a new domain about 8 months ago and have been using Entourage X to send and receive POP emails without any problem. All of a sudden I can't send email any more from this computer through my domain.

So far I have:
  • checked all POP email settings with my domain host (Go Daddy)
  • re-installed Entourage X
  • Verified that my email is still working through my webmail portal
  • Unsuccessfully tried sending mail using Mac Mail.
  • Successfully sent mail using Mac Mail through the same POP account on a different Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
POP (like IMAP) is a protocol for receiving mail, not sending it. You cannot send mail through a POP server.

SMTP is the protocol used to send mail. Check your SMTP server settings, especially your port number.

OP
R
Reaction score
My error.
SMTP server settings and port number have been checked and verified with domain host. The same setting/port combo work fine on another machine.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
The easiest way to troubleshoot mail problems is to remove the account, grab the instructions for setting it up from whomever your e-mail provider is, read it through one more time before you start, and then add the account while strictly following their directions.

It's too easy to have some box checked or not checked that just gets overlooked. Can't tell you how many times I've done it.

OP
R
Reaction score
Did I mention that my email was working fine, until it stopped?
I totally understand the finicky nature of these settings and can say without a doubt that they are currently correct as that the same exact settings work fine on another machine.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
The first thing I'd do would still be to delete and set up that e-mail account again.

After that you can try moving the mail preference (plist) file to the desktop, log out and back in - and also try running repair permissions (never know what it will fix).

(The preference file will be in Users / youruser / Library / Preferences / com.Apple.mail.plist - if it works, trash the file)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.