Asus N20A-X1 and the big boo boo.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 12 MBP 8gb ram, Crucial M4 SSD 512gb, Sandy Bridge i7
I have to confess that in May of this year I purchased an Asus N20A-X1 12" notebook with a core 2 duo processor at 2.4 ghz and every bell and whistle you could think of. I thought it packed a wallop with it's small size and footprint. I thought I hit the jackpot. Everything seemed great. I was satisfied with my purchase. After all, I thought, I had all the benefits of a netbook with a blazingly fast processor and 4 gb of ram with Vista.

July came, and somehow I noticed that the MBP suddenly looked affordable. I drooled and and bought the 13" base model.

Now, I still use my Asus at times because I paid for it. But, my Firefox looks slow. Sometimes, it shows a "not responding" message at the top until it completely loads a web page (yawn). My high speed internet is optimized through CCleaner. So, I run my programs looking for spyware/malware and find none. Do the registry dance to no avail. Uninstall/re-install Firefox and nothing. Of course, I could always use Windows Explorer. Not!

Gee. Shucks. The MBP doesn't do that. It loads web pages in a single bound. What a delight.

I made a boo boo buying the Asus. Ouch! Sure it looks pretty nice - kind of MBP ish but not quite. It chimes when I turn it on sort of like a MBP. Problem is it just ain't a MBP. Maybe Windows 7 will help. Dunno.

I think I'm spoiled now; and it's all Apple's fault. Thanks a lot you guys. I thought I had the bomb when I bought the Asus.

Trouble is, all the years I did the PC thing after leaving Apple because of cost and software availability, I was still a Mac guy at heart.

Thank heavens I'm back in Mac country now. :) I'll go on using the Asus for what it's worth. Check out Windows 7. Then, I'll go back to my Mac, and really appreciate the fact that it's a great machine and system.

p.s. I might as well add that the touch pad has right/left annoying click buttons, and the touchpad itself is teeny weeny and seems to grab the oils from my finger and actually slows the movement of my finger across the pad causing mistakes to occur. I have to periodically wipe the touchpad with a microfiber cloth to speed it up. Where's my Mac? Ah, yes, there you are. What a relief.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.