Read Only folders on external hard drive

Reaction score
Hi all

Have just bought an imac after having used windows for many years. I have a 1TB external hard drive from which I can view files but when I try to create a new folder it tells me that the folders are read only. Does anyone know how I can make them read/write?

Thanks

T

todd51

Right click on the folders and choose "Get Info". Near the bottom of this window there should be a section about User Permissions. Change it in there.

OP
F
Reaction score
Right click on the folders and choose "Get Info". Near the bottom of this window there should be a section about User Permissions. Change it in there.

Hi, thanks for the reply. I have looked there but it just says "you can only read", there are no options to change anything.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
When the drive is connected, what is the format system, Mac OS Extended and Apple Partition Map, and did you change it to write from the iMac?

OP
F
Reaction score
When the drive is connected, what is the format system, Mac OS Extended and Apple Partition Map, and did you change it to write from the iMac?

Haven't changed anything, just plugged the drive into the mac (The guy in the Apple Store said that was all I needed to do).

plb

Reaction score
What file system is the external drive formatted with? Was this used in a Windows environment prior to you moving to Mac. It is my understanding that OSX will read NTFS but not write NTFS and may be the cause for the behaviour you are seeing. I am new to Mac myself so forgive me if this is incorrect.

OP
F
Reaction score
What file system is the external drive formatted with? Was this used in a Windows environment prior to you moving to Mac. It is my understanding that OSX will read NTFS but not write NTFS and may be the cause for the behaviour you are seeing. I am new to Mac myself so forgive me if this is incorrect.

I think ou are quite correct. Wish the salesman had explained that bit. :Angry: Looks like I'll have to find some software to also me to write to the disk.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
see sig...
Paragon NTFS

Install that and you will be able to read and write to NTFS.

OP
F
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys, will look at those options.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.