Reinstalled Mac OS X on Macbook

Reaction score
Hello,
This is my very first post here on Mac-Forums. I would like to ask you all for a little help because I have looked for hours on the internet to answer my question.
My question is. How do I get all my files back after reinstalling the Mac OS X startup disk? My computer started from scratch. I lost all my movies and 5,600 songs on iTunes. All of my pictures that I can't get back have been erased also. Along with all of my downloaded applications. If there is any way I can get this stuff back, I would love it.
I was reinstalling the startup disk because Terminal got deleted on accident and that was the only way of fixing it that I knew.

T

todd51

If you did a complete re-install of OS X, then there would not be a way to retrieve the data that was originally on the disk. Well, technically there are services meant specifically for retrieving deleted data, but it's incredibly expensive. Unless you backed it up somewhere, it's gone.

Trust me, it happens to everyone at some point. Happened to me and now I have learned to back up my drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
What kind of install did you select when you did this and did you reformat the disc in the process? Even if you just followed the disc and did a clean install it should not have deleted all of your files OR your old profile, it should all be there. Now if you reformatted the disc, that's a different story.

OP
M
Reaction score
All I did was a clean install. No reformatting, because I know that reformatting would wipe everything from my hard drive. Yet, everything is gone.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
See if you have a folder that was created after you did the clean install labeled
"Previous System" or something similar. If you do, that's where all your data is and can be retrieved.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.