Font: New York 18

Reaction score
I want to purchase (but haven't yet) the Oregon Trail 5th edition. As I understand from previous closed threads, the only way to get the font needed to run the game is to purchase OS 9. That would be fine with me since OS 9 can be purchased relatively cheap on eBay, and since Oregon Trail is cheap too but a totally awesome game that it would be worth the total cost. However, before I buy the game and the older operating system, I was wondering if anyone could answer a few specific questions for me:

1) Do I have to get OS 9 exactly or will OS 9.2.1 get me the New York 18 font?

2) Do I have to install and run the lower OS in order to play Oregon Trail or is there a way of just getting the font off the OS install CD and storing it in the appropriate place under my current operating system?

3) The previous threads concerning this issue seamed to pertain to all users of OS X Tiger. Is there any chance that the needed font has resurrected in OS X Leopard? (I plan to upgrade to Leopard soon, but I just haven't gotten around to it yet.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
1) Do I have to get OS 9 exactly or will OS 9.2.1 get me the New York 18 font?

Either one would be fine.

2) Do I have to install and run the lower OS in order to play Oregon Trail or is there a way of just getting the font off the OS install CD and storing it in the appropriate place under my current operating system?

Yes, you have to run the game under OS 9

3) The previous threads concerning this issue seamed to pertain to all users of OS X Tiger. Is there any chance that the needed font has resurrected in OS X Leopard? (I plan to upgrade to Leopard soon, but I just haven't gotten around to it yet.)

I seriously doubt it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.