Garageband for making ringtones

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 3.06Ghz 4G Ram| iPhone 3G 8Gb
Hey Guys,

I have been using Garabeband to try and make ringtones etc..

But seems even when I just play back a normal track up to 20seconds its fine but then it fades out and thats it..

It will continue to play but no actual media can be herd. I have tried loads of tracks in case its my music but its not.

I also tried my partners iMac and it does the same thing!

Frustrating! Help?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 Mac Mini: 500GB-8GH : iPad 2 64GB
Hmm thats weird..
Are you sure your playing the right track?
Ive never heard that before..

OP
bennjiboi
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah - i select a new track then real instrument, load my file, select to loop for 30 seconds and play it.. It fades out at 20 seconds when when I import it to iTunes..

Even if i load a song in and just play it, it only plays for 20 seconds then fades...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Even if i load a song in and just play it, it only plays for 20 seconds then fades...

But an imported song shouldn't fade out unless it not an original.

Did you start with a copy of the song file, and then rename it, import to garage band, "play with it", then export it to Itunes?
Itunes might be messed up because the original is named as the ringtone.

OP
bennjiboi
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nope I imported it directly.. So its the origonal file.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
We Itunes might recognize the ringtone as the song because they heve the same basic data..

Id download the full song, put a copy on your desktop, import the copy to Garageband, do to it what you want, export it, rename it "rngtone.mp3", then put it o your phone via blue tooth or cable.

Hopefully this works, if not, I will think about it more..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5 inch nvidia 6gb ram, 13 in MacBook pro 320gb 4 gb ram, iPad 16 gb 3G, iPhone 4 Verizon 16g
If You go under track, there is a selection for fade-out. Click it and a menu will appear. You can then adjust fade-out. See the normal settings? Fade out is there!

Picture 1.png

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    15.7 KB · Views: 6
OP
bennjiboi
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks heaps for all your help!

I saw that fade out option and had a play around with it, it didnt make any differance so I assume its off.

I havent tried importing the copy of the track I want to use so I will try that and see if I have any luck

:(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15' - iMovie 09
yep I have this issue aswel! plays 20 seconds of the original track and then fades out. Used a track that was purchased through itunes and got the same result!

k rgds jonyfoz

OP
bennjiboi
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Does anyone have a fix for this? I brought a brand new iMac with a fresh install of iLife and I'm still having these issues!! :(

It's frustrating at the least..

Reaction score
I'm assuming you are trying to make ringtones?

I was having this problem too, but there is a simple fix. Ringtones are limited to 10 seconds by Garage Band, but you can make them longer, instead of making a new "iPhone Ringtone" project, just use one of the regular projects. In Garage Band: File -> New Project -> New Project

Any of them should work, but I usually choose Loops.

Then just make your selection, I believe the limit is 40 seconds, and export to iTunes. Works for me, hope this helps!

Reaction score
I've always used Audacity to make ringtones as it's free and pretty easy to use. Then again I've never used iTunes purchased songs and I'm not sure if that might have an effect. But if you're completely stuck try downloading it, editing your song and then make sure to go to 'Export as MP3' instead of 'Save As' as Audacity's regular save format is not MP3.

OP
bennjiboi
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm assuming you are trying to make ringtones?

I was having this problem too, but there is a simple fix. Ringtones are limited to 10 seconds by Garage Band, but you can make them longer, instead of making a new "iPhone Ringtone" project, just use one of the regular projects. In Garage Band: File -> New Project -> New Project

Any of them should work, but I usually choose Loops.

Then just make your selection, I believe the limit is 40 seconds, and export to iTunes. Works for me, hope this helps!

You were totally right! This works. I dont know why it wasnt working the other way though - a little strange.

No matter though all fixed now! Thanks a buncH!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.