• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

iMovie Problem

Reaction score
Hey I have a question for iMovie. I would like to make a video of me playing drums and suppose I take a camera and record one angle of drums and then another angle of my feet on the drum pedals, I don't know where to go in iMovie in order to make both of them appear in the same screen. I've done this easily with Premier Pro but have no idea where to go for this. It should be a sort of video effect right? If anyone has an input or answer please let me know! Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
What version of iMovie?

At best there is picture-in-picture for iMovie.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Well I bought it January 09 so probably iMovie 08/iLife 08.

Well, no, you might have iLife 09 as Apple said they would release it in January of 09. Under the 'iMovie' menu, choose "About iMovie" to find out.

I don't recall iMovie 08 having picture-in-picture, so you are out of luck with that version as there are no add-ons available.

You might find some add-on available for iMovie HD, which is only helpful if you already have iMHD. Apple discontinued making it available when they released iM09.

Apparently you can do this trick if you have QuickTime Pro. The IMovie HD & IDVD 5: Missing Manual describes that work flow.

iM09 does have picture-in-picture built in. Drag a video clip from an event onto one in your project over the location you want it to appear. A popup window appears where you select "Picture in Picture". You can adjust the placement and size and fine tune the extra clip.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.