iTunes software

Reaction score
Hi, im new to this forum!

I have a Mac G4 - operating system 10.4.11. I believe the hard-drive has been partitioned - I have two hard-drives showing on my desk top... Macintosh HD and Caz'z drive.

The Macintosh HD was full, so I moved my itunes folder into Caz's drive - this freed up space. However, when I plug my ipod in, its asking me... "The ipod is synced with another itunes library. Do you want to erase this ipod and sync with this itunes library.

I have stopped in my tracks here - how can I get it to recognise a new location??

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks, Caz

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 13" 2.13GHz - Intel Core 2 Duo 2GB DDR2 Memory - 160GB HD - NVIDIA GeForce 9400M
Hmm, I'm not sure I understand what you're asking. Did you move the iTunes folder location within iTunes? If you didn't, I think that's your problem.

Here's what I think happened, correct me if I'm wrong. You went into your music folder and just dragged your iTunes folder to the other partition. In this case, what will happen is the next time you launch iTunes, the software won't see its music folder and make a new empty one. There are two ways to fix this.

The Hard Way (I'm telling you this because it illustrates the correct way to move the iTunes Library.)
1. With iTunes not running, move the folder back where it was originally. You will be overwriting this new empty library that iTunes made.
2. Launch iTunes and check to make sure that your songs are all intact and play properly, you should be able to sync normally again as well. I know, you want that space back, that's next.
3. Go to: iTunes>Preferences... and click the advanced tab on the far right.
The top of this pane will allow you to manage your iTunes folder location. Just click Change... and browse to the location you want on the other partition.
4. For good measure, you may want to go to File>Library>Consolidate Library once this has finished moving everything.

The easy way:
1. Quit iTunes
2. Launch iTunes while holding down the Option key (Shift on Windows)
3. This will bring up the Choose iTunes Library dialog
4. Simply click Choose Library... and browse to the library XML file in the folder that you moved to the other partition. Everything should be honkey dorey.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.